1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain IP hijacking

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by speedway, Nov 19, 2014.

1. speedway

speedway Well-Known Member

Has anyone else ever been on the wrong end of domain ip hijacking? I just went through this even though my provider apparently has defenses against it.

I am with DNSMadeEasy and they swore black and blue that the problem was not on their end. However, when I delved deeper into my DNS configuration I found 5 extra DNS servers assigned to my domain and one of DNSMadeEasy's domain servers has been redirected to this a-holes server.

I admit that I was using DME's default server names and some of it was my stupid fault anyway but am not too happy that it happened at all. If *think* I have cured the problem by assigning my own vanity servers to my domain plus creating a custom SOA record to define my parent server.

To say I am a little uneasy with DME is an understatement. Does anyone have a DNS supplier recommendation that isn't going to cost me the earth to move to?

2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

I'm using Cloudflare DNS only (not CDN), FREE.
  3. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

I only use my own DNS servers, with custom configurations. I don't like someone else having control over my settings, even if they provide you with a web interface to configure everything. Nothing beats the named logs to verify your setup from A to Z.
  4. speedway

speedway Well-Known Member

I do not have the experience to do that. DNS is one of the mythical things to me