Domain Changing

NickM22

Can someone post me the proper steps to changing the domain to my site, ive tried it before in the past with other sites but then would always get data base errors. Thank you for your help

Close your site.

Make a copy of the database and files.

Move database and files to new domain hosting.

Check correct file and folder permissions are set.

Change database details if required.

Go to Admin CP and in options update your Basic Board Information.

Reopen site.

Are you going to switch host / server as well? If you are just changing your domain, it is relatively easy, assuming your host allows you to change your main domain. If not, you will ask their support to do it for you.

its not the main domain, its a domain i bought and added with the "addon domain" which just points to a directory

What are you trying to do exactly? If you want the domain to redirect to your site you can either park it or set up addon domain and create a .htaccess in that folder that redirects to your main domain.

Are you hosting multiple sites on same account? If not, then I would just ask your host to change your main domain to domain2.com, then park domain1.com and set up a redirect for that. That way you don't have to move your files.

If that isn't viable for you, just move your xF install to the folder the addon domain is pointing to and follow Slavik's instructions.

Top Bottom