Does Xenforo's notification system support large sites? IPB does not.

bababooey

We recently switched our big board from vB to IPB, only to discover that any thread/forum with 200-300 followers will suffer from posting delays when new users try to post to that thread/forum. The more followers, the greater the delay. A few thousand followers produces a 30+ delay on new topics/posts.

http://community.invisionpower.com/...-follows-causes-extreme-posting-delays-r42623

This is likely why IPB defaults to having all notifications turned off.

skitch.webp

Does Xenforo suffer from the same flaws?

Last edited:
XenForo includes a deferred system that will take care of long running process:

New general-purpose system for long running processes
1.2 adds a new "deferred" system for running any code that can be broken up into pieces and may take a long time (multiple seconds or more) to run. Deferred tasks can be triggered automatically by the code as necessary and they will either be run automatically in the background (by page views) or by displaying the current running state to the administrator (in the case of some cache rebuilds). This effectively unifies the cache rebuild systems with cron and other potentially long running processes (such as the bulk user change system discussed in the past).

Mail queue system
Using the "deferred" system above, a mail queue system has been implemented for email that does not have to be sent immediately, such as thread watch emails. Other emails (such as registration confirmation or lost password) emails can still bypass the system.

This creates performance improvements, particularly for heavily watched threads or when using a slow, external mail server.

I guess if you're going to copy features, you need to make sure you do it better not worse than the competition...

XF seems to be performing great for big boards from what I've heard.

IGN is highly optimized and modified so its not fair to use it as a comparison. It's better to use a big board that isn't actual run by professional coders who are paid to optimize the forum. Compare a large board that runs Xenforo out of the box with little modifications. All a big board like that needs is a vps or dedicated server.

IGN is highly optimized and modified so its not fair to use it as a comparison. It's better to use a big board that isn't actual run by professional coders who are paid to optimize the forum. Compare a large board that runs Xenforo out of the box with little modifications. All a big board like that needs is a vps or dedicated server.
People with forums that size, have lots of traffic = lots of ads = money. If you don't put anything back to your website, don't expect it work properly or be user friendly as much as users want it to be. Unique features based on the forum's subject is also highly likable.
Boards that size are using multiple dedicated servers. There is nothing special at IGN. Coders won't help that much as server optimization in terms of SQL/PHP. I can bet though that he won't need any of these and everything would just work as designed.

There's plenty of special stuff going on at IGN. Have you not paid any attention to the IGN coder's posts? Also you have but to just look around (if you have an account) to tell how much change has been done.

www.cheapassgamer.com
10,544,989 Total Posts
424,451 Total Members

My big board have 2.000 concurrent users, 14 million of posts, and many threads with 3000-5000 posts, not problem at all with two relative old servers one for front end and one for backend. ;)
I dont make any modification to xenforo, except two addons doit by me and 5 from here. My big bottleneck is database beacuse have 15GB of size and my disk controller is slow.

My big board have 2.000 concurrent users, 14 million of posts, and many threads with 3000-5000 posts, not problem at all with two relative old servers one for front end and one for backend. ;)
I dont make any modification to xenforo, except two addons doit by me and 5 from here. My big bottleneck is database beacuse have 15GB of size and my disk controller is slow.
SSD drives are pretty cheap today. It can help a lot.

Impressive!

@Mike Tougeron is the best person to address IGN, of course, but from his postings here it doesn't sound like they did anything special to support notifications on their large site (eg: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ign-forum.46896/#post-507913).
Notifications are jacked up on IGN, which is telling me there's something either wrong with their site or it's just a bug in the way they modified it. Everytime I log on IGN boards I get an alert, the alert is for nothing.

Top Bottom