Does XenForo actually act on piracy reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesJ

I've reported countless XenForo setups using nulled software over the past year, all of which are still online, still using nulled software?

It's not very encouraging as someone who brought the software, when I see people who haven't and the developers appear to be doing nothing.

:3

- James

We don't host the sites so we have no control over them.

At most they can be reported to the host and possibly a DMCA could be filed.

If the host/country does not abide by the usual laws though, it won't make any difference.

We don't host the sites so we have no control over them.
No, you don't, but my point below:
At most they can be reported to the host and possibly a DMCA could be filed.
It's more than easy to send a DMCA. Either to the host, or IP space abuse email.

So basically, there is nothing that will happen if someone uses nulled XenForo? If they're going to do nothing about nulled setups, how can they expect people to buy the software..

What exactly do you expect us to do about sites which are hosted in countries which flout international law?

There are some governments who ignore piracy rules and use software unlicensed, never mind individuals.

XenForo is not alone in being subject to piracy and unlicensed use.

So basically, there is nothing that will happen if someone uses nulled XenForo? If they're going to do nothing about nulled setups, how can they expect people to buy the software..

Your questions sounds a little strange to me. By this logic, you should not buy a car legally, because a lot of cars are stolen and the thieves are not found and therfore not punished by law?

What exactly do you expect us to do about sites which are hosted in countries which flout international law?

There are some governments who ignore piracy rules and use software unlicensed, never mind individuals.

XenForo is not alone in being subject to piracy and unlicensed use.
I am completely aware of this.
However all the sites I reported were large sites, all of which are making a decent amount of cash, all hosted in the USA. So something can be done.

Your questions sounds a little strange to me. By this logic, you should not buy a car legally, because a lot of cars are stolen and the thieves are not found and therfore not punished by law?
Because something is done when you steal a car. There are few people who get away with it

Because something is done when you steal a car. There are few people who get away with it

I am getting a little off topic here, but to expend further on my previous post. Say the cars stolen are shipped off to some third world country where law as we know it, means totally nothing. Asking the goverment there to block the stolen cars will lead to nothing at all. The same things with the off shore hostings. They do not care if the softwares that they host are nulled.

Feel free to report them to the hosts to try and get them taken down.

The report doesn't have to come from us.
Just seems like a bit of a cop out if I'm honest, especially when I and many others have spent money on the software and the developers don't really care that people are nulling it..

I am getting a little off topic here, but to expend further on my previous post. Say the cars stolen are shipped off to some third world country where law as we know it, means totally nothing. Asking the goverment there to block the stolen cars will lead to nothing at all. The same things with the off shore hostings. They do not care if the softwares that they host are nulled.
I am completely aware, however all the sites I have reported at in the United States, and using US hosts..

Just seems like a bit of a cop out if I'm honest, especially when I and many others have spent money on the software and the developers don't really care that people are nulling it..
What do you suggest they do?

How do you know they don't? Like Brogan already said:-
Please read my earlier posts.
I have repeatedly stated that I am talking about websites being hosted in the United States, a country which does abide by copyright laws.
And hosts are bound by law the follow such laws, because it's a law..

Please read my earlier posts.
I have repeatedly stated that I am talking about websites being hosted in the United States, a country which does abide by copyright laws.
And hosts are bound by law the follow such laws, because it's a law..
And you're assuming that XF don't send DMCA notices to the sites that are reported. Your argument "because it's a law" is naive. Just because a DMCA is issued doesn't mean the Host will (law or not) take any notice unless pushed further.

And you're assuming that XF don't send DMCA notices to the sites that are reported. Your argument "because it's a law" is naive. Just because a DMCA is issued doesn't mean the Host will (law or not) take any notice unless pushed further.
I know nothing has been done because I reported some sites over a year ago, and they are still using the same nulled software.
Plus, I have never actually been told that XenForo does send out DMCAs.

Most modern hosts will respond to DMCA requests, as it affects the host a lot more at times.
One site I recently reported, uses OVH, and I know for a fact they respond to DMCA requests as I was once subjected to (a false) one.

I know nothing has been done because I reported some sites over a year ago, and they are still using the same nulled software.
No, what you know is that nothing was achieved.

Plus, I have never actually been told that XenForo does send out DMCAs.
You haven't been told they don't either.

Most modern hosts will respond to DMCA requests, as it affects the host a lot more at times.
You'd be surpried at how many don't respond to them.

One site I recently reported, uses OVH, and I know for a fact they respond to DMCA requests as I was once subjected to (a false) one.
All you know is that they responded to a DMCA request you were involved in, nothing more than that ;)

For what it's worth DMCA is a part of the US Copyright Law, but not any country that doesn't come under US law. So any host outside of the US can ignore a DMCA as far as I'm aware, although I do think that there are variations available for those other countries and the EU.

No, what you know is that nothing was achieved.

You haven't been told they don't either.

You'd be surpried at how many don't respond to them.

All you know is that they responded to a DMCA request you were involved in, nothing more than that ;)

For what it's worth DMCA is a part of the US Copyright Law, but not any country that doesn't come under US law. So any host outside of the US can ignore a DMCA as far as I'm aware, although I do think that there are variations available for those other countries and the EU.
DMCAs aren't just in the US, many countries abide by them, the UK being one too.

And if you've ever been involved in (sending) a DMCA, you'd know that often they do respond. The majority of large providers (SingleHop, DigitalOcean, PNAP, Linode, OVH, RSNET, I could go on and on) all respond to DMCAs.

I assume right now you've never been involved with any sort of hosting companies, but hosts hate getting DMCAs because it reflects badly on the host. Not a reputation they wish for.
Let alone, getting a (valid) DMCA request breaks 99.9% of host's Terms and Conditions.

The majority of large providers (SingleHop, DigitalOcean, PNAP, Linode, OVH, RSNET, I could go on and on) all respond to DMCAs.
DigitalOcean and OVH? Yea sure.... good luck with ;)

I assume right now you've never been involved with any sort of hosting companies, but hosts hate getting DMCAs because it reflects badly on the host. Not a reputation they wish for.
Let alone, getting a (valid) DMCA request breaks 99.9% of host's Terms and Conditions.
How exactly? There is no public record saying XYZ host has got 1.45% of additional DMCA takedown reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom