Add-on Does ANYONE know of anything that adds quota limits for resources?

Arnox

This is so weird. And what's extra weird is the Media Gallery actually has total upload quotas, but you can't download files from the Media Gallery that it can't process. Resource Manager has no such limitation, but also has no total upload quotas! Without a way to set a quota, users can just spam upload however much they want to the server! Maybe not a big deal if you have enough storage and bandwidth to handle it, but a lot of people simply don't and would definitely like a way to limit uploads by total size of all uploaded items from the user and/or total resource count per user.

I've scoured the ACP. I've searched the add-ons offered in the Resources section, but I can't find anything!

I know it's not an answer to the question asked, but with storage so cheap these days, does it even make sense? For example you can offload XenForo files (anything in the data or internal_data directory) from your server to the cloud fairly inexpensively. There are a zillion cloud file providers that XenForo works with (anything that's S3 compatible for example). As far as a cost example, you could send 500GB worth of media, attachments, etc. to R2 for $7.35 per month (first 10GB are free, then $0.015 per GB after that). I don't know your site, but I would think you would get more than 1.5 cents of value per GB of stuff your users uploaded regardless of how much a user uploaded.

I know it's not an answer to the question asked, but with storage so cheap these days, does it even make sense? For example you can offload XenForo files (anything in the data or internal_data directory) from your server to the cloud fairly inexpensively. There are a zillion cloud file providers that XenForo works with (anything that's S3 compatible for example). As far as a cost example, you could send 500GB worth of media, attachments, etc. to R2 for $7.35 per month (first 10GB are free, then $0.015 per GB after that). I don't know your site, but I would think you would get more than 1.5 cents of value per GB of stuff your users uploaded regardless of how much a user uploaded.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of our website, we cannot rely on US-based hosting and this MASSIVELY restricts our budget options. We need incredibly reliable off-shore hosting. And such hosting does absolutely exist, but it's, uh... Expensive. lol Like 5x the usual US costs. Maybe more. There's a good reason why you can buy pretty much any US hosting for pennies on the dollar. I'm willing to pay out for security and reliability, but unfortunately, that's going to mean having to limit how much users can upload to our site due to much higher costs. Each and every gigabyte available suddenly becomes much more valuable and needed.

Top Bottom