Does Anyone Know Anything About Art Licensing?

Jo.

I was contacted by a company who asked if I'd consider licensing my art work to them, but I am completely clueless about licensing and I have no idea how to go about it. I've done some googling but not much seems to be going in. Lol. Don't suppose anyone here has any knowledge in this area??

Thanks Brogan! :)

I have dealt with this for my friend before who does some pretty neat abstracted renders.

All I will say is read everything, 3 times. You will find that the terms will basically give the company "ownership" of your work unless you specifically have a time frame mentioned. If that is the case, make sure you find out what the pictures are for, and if you think the value is worth it. Eg. You dont want to licence them for $50 for an advert, to find out later on that advert is for the new apple product or something.

Specifics.

I have dealt with this for my friend before who does some pretty neat abstracted renders.

All I will say is read everything, 3 times. You will find that the terms will basically give the company "ownership" of your work unless you specifically have a time frame mentioned. If that is the case, make sure you find out what the pictures are for, and if you think the value is worth it. Eg. You dont want to licence them for $50 for an advert, to find out later on that advert is for the new apple product or something.

Specifics.

Thanks Slavic! I'll be sure to read everything in great detail. My legal knowledge is pretty sparse though...

They haven't given me any specifics yet, just an initial enquiry...

I signed up just so I could reply to your question, Jo. Hopefully you regesterd your art with the copyright office. Never give a company all rights to your artwork!!!! You can re-license the art to other companies over and over. If that's what they want, pass it up. Also don't get a flat fee, got royalties. More lucrative. They need to specify what the art is going on, for how long, the royalty fees, and how it will be paid. Ideally you should have a copyright lawyer look over the contract. The company will take you serious and you can get better options. Look up blogs from Tara Reed, Maria Brophy, and Joan Beiriger to start.
Read this link with simple basic info on it: http://artmarketing.com/licensingart101/lice.html

I signed up just so I could reply to your question, Jo. Hopefully you regesterd your art with the copyright office. Never give a company all rights to your artwork!!!! You can re-license the art to other companies over and over. If that's what they want, pass it up. Also don't get a flat fee, got royalties. More lucrative. They need to specify what the art is going on, for how long, the royalty fees, and how it will be paid. Ideally you should have a copyright lawyer look over the contract. The company will take you serious and you can get better options. Look up blogs from Tara Reed, Maria Brophy, and Joan Beiriger to start.
Read this link with simple basic info on it: http://artmarketing.com/licensingart101/lice.html

Excellent advice.

Thanks so much Pat!! I really appreciate it - going to take a look at that link now...

Top Bottom