Does anyone have a XenForo page node or help page that appears first in a Google search?

Alternadiv

If you have a page node or help page (not a forum thread) that appears first in a Google search, I'd like to see the page and the search keywords, if you don't mind sharing here or messaging it to me.

Although I didn't get replies, I have a new side-question. Anyone use XFRM as a Wiki and have those pages ranking in Google?

I know that resources can get indexed, as there are usually two entries when I do a Google search for a resource by name:

1654703267901.webp

The first is the resource page, the second is the discussion thread for the add-on.

But for other uses (resources used as a wiki, help pages, page nodes, etc.), it might have more to do with how visible the pages are. Are resources only listed in the resources area, or are they linked often elsewhere in the site? Page nodes I've found tend to fly under the radar. I used to have one forum's rules and policies as a page node and nobody could ever find it, despite it being displayed at the bottom of the node list on the main page of the forum.

Also, what ends up in the sitemap? Presumably, resources do. Page nodes probably do as well. But I don't know if help pages would, as they are not actual site content.

So I'm curious as well, as I'm considering redoing a few sites and switching everything over to XenForo vs. simultaneously trying to keep a WordPress site going.

But for other uses (resources used as a wiki, help pages, page nodes, etc.), it might have more to do with how visible the pages are. Are resources only listed in the resources area, or are they linked often elsewhere in the site?
Good point. I'm currently using resources to create a wiki. After considering all options, I think a modified resource manager is best for me.

Page nodes I've found tend to fly under the radar. I used to have one forum's rules and policies as a page node and nobody could ever find it, despite it being displayed at the bottom of the node list on the main page of the forum.
I've had a lot of problems with people not knowing how to find the content they're looking for, when it's on a page. Hopefully the resource manager will help a little bit.

If you have a page node or help page (not a forum thread) that appears first in a Google search, I'd like to see the page and the search keywords, if you don't mind sharing here or messaging it to me.
While I don't really use page nodes for anything, it's easy enough to see where your average position is for search terms in Google Search Console. At this point in time, I wouldn't worry about trying to format the page for the search engine, just do it for the end user and the rest will come.

An older XF 1.5 site as an example:

1654708481786.webp

I've had a lot of problems with people not knowing how to find the content they're looking for, when it's on a page. Hopefully the resource manager will help a little bit.
Since it can be better organized, I think it's a good means of presenting information.

Some other considerations against page nodes? 1) No text editor. 2) Creating/editing pages requires opening up the admin area to staff. With Resources, creators and editors can be assigned through the permissions system.

Good point. I'm currently using resources to create a wiki. After considering all options, I think a modified resource manager is best for me.

I thought of trying the same, and bought a license specifically for that... And discovered that Resource Manager is too limited to really make much great use of.

Showcase or Item Management System by @Bob are much more flexible and offer way more flexibility.

While I don't really use page nodes for anything, it's easy enough to see where your average position is for search terms in Google Search Console. At this point in time, I wouldn't worry about trying to format the page for the search engine, just do it for the end user and the rest will come.

An older XF 1.5 site as an example:

View attachment 269291
Yeah... Though apparently pointing out that SEO isn't a silver bullet of success pisses off all the SEO experts :LOL:.

Yeah... Though apparently pointing out that SEO isn't a silver bullet of success pisses off all the SEO experts :LOL:.
SEO is a lot different now than it used to be. Google is pretty smart these days. You literally would need to go out of your way to try to "unSEO" your page if you wanted to go that route.

That being said, I do miss the days when you had full control over Google... haha

Example: I ranked #1 (and #2) for the keyword "eharmony" and eharmony.com was #3 for their own company name. I just sent the traffic I got to them and made 6 figures a month via their affiliate program (guess what, people specifically searching for "eharmony" in Google have a pretty high conversion rate when you send them to eharmony.com haha):

1654710352379.png

Took all of 5 minutes of time and 48 hours of waiting for that to happen. It actually was a mistake... I didn't mean to rank that well, I intentionally backed it off because I didn't want to get kicked out of their program. hah Ah, the good ol' days... 😂

I've always thought the SEO industry is something of a sham, since it is all guesswork (Google doesn't divulge their algorithms), and Google keeps changing the rules. I managed to help a long-time client when we found her site had slid from a top ranking for the products she sold (where she even surpassed the manufacturer's site), to falling "below the fold" and having her business drop off substantially. I didn't use any tricks, but did revamp the code following best practices and we got the ranking back in the top three after several months.

I even had Google refuse to index a site recently where I had a crawl delay setting in robots.txt, since they among others were the ones slamming our site so hard daily that it was often like a denial of service attack. Why they couldn't just ignore it, I don't know. But I removed it, and the indexing recovered.

Google. Don't trust 'em. Can't exist without 'em. 🤷‍♂️

SEO is a lot different now than it used to be. Google is pretty smart these days.
These words are to be carved in stone. I fully agree with this idea.
With the algorithms of semantic analysis, Google has long preferred content written for humans and not that aimed at robots.

SEO is a lot different now than it used to be. Google is pretty smart these days.
With the algorithms of semantic analysis, Google has long preferred content written for humans and not that aimed at robots.

After I made this thread, I read through most of Google's webmaster guidelines and this was the reoccurring message they were giving.

If you have original content that is useful to real humans, you'll rank well.

Other than that, they state exactly what you guys are talking about:

Avoid the following techniques:

Aren't "doorway pages" essentially what we used to call landing pages back in the day? Seems they define it similarly. If my client had a brand as one of her major lines, a landing page featuring that brand would, in the past, probably have helped the search ranking. (It would have been a page with the latest product releases featured, or news of a closeout sale on older products in that brand, etc.) Yet it would have led to the same online catalog on the same site.

If you have original content that is useful to real humans, you'll rank well.
I could debate the point that content on some of my forums is actually useful... 🤣 But I do agree--if Google can weed out the many useless sites I visit, that's all for the greater good.

Aren't "doorway pages" essentially what we used to call landing pages back in the day? Seems they define it similarly. If my client had a brand as one of her major lines, a landing page featuring that brand would, in the past, probably have helped the search ranking. (It would have been a page with the latest product releases featured, or news of a closeout sale on older products in that brand, etc.) Yet it would have led to the same online catalog on the same site.

I could debate the point that content on some of my forums is actually useful... 🤣 But I do agree--if Google can weed out the many useless sites I visit, that's all for the greater good.

This is a good breakdown on doorway pages and gives more context than Googles definition. Basically, just make sure that the page is informative and not meant purely for gaming the algorithm. In most cases if it is a landing page for ads or the like, just disallow bots as landing pages.

This thread of mine is almost a year old but I'm bumping to see if anyone has something to add.

If you use XF page nodes, how do they rank with Google?
If you use custom pages using the built in Help pages system, how do they rank?
If you use article nodes to create pages, how do those rank?
Any other wisdom to share?

This thread of mine is almost a year old but I'm bumping to see if anyone has something to add.

If you use XF page nodes, how do they rank with Google?
If you use custom pages using the built in Help pages system, how do they rank?
If you use article nodes to create pages, how do those rank?
Any other wisdom to share?
Wouldn't it mostly depend on the content you put on those pages?

Top Bottom