Does anyone ever report their own post?

Dominion

Pardon me if this is the wrong place for this; I couldn't decide where it should go.

The title isn't meant to be facetious. I haven't been an extremely avid forum-hopper heretofore (so it's rather ironic that my wife has chosen me to set up our company forums :p), and as a result may not be aware of all of the intricacies that are involved in running a forum.

I understand the purpose of the "Report" link at the bottom of each forum post, but I don't recall ever seeing any forum software display this link at the bottom of my own posts. I can't imagine any circumstances where I'd use such a link, unless perhaps I'd just regained control of my account after it hadd been hacked, and wanted to report spam that the hacker had posted in my name.

Is that the idea here? Or is there something I'm missing?

So there's a reason for the link, then, even if it's not immediately apparent to me.

I guess I'll find out, somewhere down the road. :unsure:

I tend to report my own post (or I have in the past) when I know I'm bending the rules a bit with my response.

So there's a reason for the link, then, even if it's not immediately apparent to me.

I guess I'll find out, somewhere down the road. :unsure:

If someone makes a mistake with their title, reporting their post would bring it to the attention of staff much sooner than if they posted generally.

Well for example, some people use it to ask for a thread title change.
Ahh, that makes sense!

I tend to report my own post (or I have in the past) when I know I'm bending the rules a bit with my response.
And that also makes sense. Thank you!

I've been thinking of the "Report" function as something you'd only use to report an infraction of the rules that should be handled by a moderator. As I work on the Japanese translation, I'll have to make sure my wording leaves open other possibilities such as these.

I was also thinking along the lines Peggy described, but I suppose if you need to do something about a post buried in an established thread, asking a moderator for assistance makes more sense than deleting and reposting.

Thank you all for your responses!

Surely this will be fixed for v 1.1
Stating that it needs to be fixed, erroneously assumes it's broken.
Thread title editing is a moderator function.

Whether that permission is moved to general forum permissions for all users some time in the future, I couldn't say.

On my forum people have reported their own post...

Because the edit time has expired and they need to change something urgently
Because their post breaks the rules and they've just realised that
Because they've posted something self incriminating
Because they have posted something which, in hindsight, is libellous
Because it's the next morning and they've sobered up, the suddenly remember that post they made :)

I would imagine in a forum with unlimited self editing and deleting privileges you would get this much less often, since people would just go back and make their own amendments. On my forum, as with many, you get a certain time to edit your posts for spelling and the likes, then after this they are locked unless edited by a moderator.

Thanks for the other good examples, Ingenious. (Nice avatar, by the way. (y))

I'll be sure to pass all this on to my wife and her staff, who will be doing most of the moderating. We're all pretty new at this, so it's good to have an idea how people make use of these features. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

Heh heh, now there's an idea: a computer peripheral that's combination breathalyzer and user authentication, complete with XenForo add-on. You have to blow in the tube to unlock the editor. :ROFLMAO:
You may joke, but I recall reading a news item which did that to a mobile phone to stop you calling/texting people (e.g. exes), when drunk.

I report my own posts, whether it's because I want a title change, feel like I'm bending rules, want it moved to another forum, etc.

I've also (on my own forums) tended to lessen a sentence on a user if the user in question has reported their own posts (think of it as a mitigating factor).

Quite a few members here have reported their own posts, for various reasons.
I am one of them :-)
You may joke, but I recall reading a news item which did that to a mobile phone to stop you calling/texting people (e.g. exes), when drunk.

Really? I have heard of breathalyzers in cars that make you pull over and give a test once an hour or your car won't run/ police get notified but that is just funny...no more drunk dialing I guess LOL.

Interesting. I knew they make those breathalyzers small these days, but to actually put one in a phone? o_O

But come to think of it, that might be quite a handy thing to have. Not for call censoring, but for making sure one is sober enough to drive after having a glass of wine with dinner, etc. You check the phone and if it says you're still a bit tipsy, you order another cup of coffee and relax a while longer, sort of thing.

Top Bottom