Does adsense bot respect nofollow?

dutchbb

I can't find any information about this. When using a robots.txt it is best to allow adsense bot (Mediapartners-Google) to crawl everyting (exept maybe posts and goto).

But does adsense bot respect rel="nofollow" in links?

Yes, that is for robots.txt

So i presume links with rel="nofollow" are followed by Mediapartners-Google to check the ads.

I’m also wondering this. I assume Andy is right but it’d be nice to have a definitive answer from Google.

How does Google handle nofollowed links?

In general, we don't follow them. This means that Google does not transfer PageRank or anchor text across these links. Essentially, using nofollow causes us to drop the target links from our overall graph of the web. However, the target pages may still appear in our index if other sites link to them without using nofollow, or if the URLs are submitted to Google in a Sitemap. Also, it's important to note that other search engines may handle nofollow in slightly different ways.

Source: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/96569?hl=en

Did some more research about this.

Adsense doesn't check for nofollow like Googlebot because its function is different. It (should) also only crawls pages that contain ads.

But adsense bot does respect robots.txt. So if you are blocking pages in it that contains ads you should allow 'Mediapartners-Google' to crawl these, else no ads will be shown on those pages google states. Same for private threads (not visible guests), you can allow adsense with a code then.

In both cases google will give a warning about this when access to pages with ads are blocked. So nofollow doen's matter with adsense, it will crawl these pages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom