1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Documentation / How To - Soft Delete vs. Hard Deletes

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by ProCom, Sep 18, 2013.

1. ProCom

ProCom Active Member

I'm still VERY new to xF so please be patient with me <hide>

Today in our testing sandbox a moderator deleted their own post. In our current system there is only hard-delete. Her post shows for me as:

My questions:

1. Is there any documentation about "soft" vs. "hard" / permanant deletes?
    2. Is there a way to "restore" a soft-deleted post? I'm surprised I didn't see a "restore" or "undelete" option on the post.
    3. How are soft deleted posts hard deleted? I don't even see that as an option on the soft-deleted post. I assume that if there is a restore option then it would just need to be "permanently" deleted after it was restored from soft-delete?

Thanks in advance for entertaining my dummy question!
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Soft is removed from view.
    Hard is removed from the database.

The message above relates to a soft deleted post.

Soft deleted posts can be undeleted or hard deleted.
    Both are moderator permissions.
  3. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Also, you access the undelete/delete option by checking the checkbox next to the post and using the box that pops up :)
  4. ProCom

ProCom Active Member

Thanks Brogan!

I'm the admin of the site and I don't see any way to "undelete" the soft deleted post. I looked in the Admin group permission settings and see "Undelete threads / posts:" is selected as "allow" for my group, but I can't see where / how to restore a post.

I see a "show" option, but no other options to "restore" or "undelete". I bet I'm missing something SUPER simple and right in front of me, but I can't find it.
  5. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Did you see my post?

The same checkbox system is in use for posts as well as threads :)
    ProCom likes this.
  6. ProCom

ProCom Active Member

Sorry, I didn't see your post, but thank you SO MUCH for all that.

I knew I was a dummy and I totally missed that "undelete" post option in the pulldown.

Thank you a TON!
  7. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Member

How long soft deleted messages/posts are stored in database?
  8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

9. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Member

May be it's a good idea to make an option to have them deleted automatically after 6 month/ 1year?
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  10. Divvens

Divvens Well-Known Member

The point of soft delete is retention, adding an option to this to delete after x time is in my opinion fluff, if you want it gone eventually better hard delete it, no?
  11. SuchMuch

SuchMuch Member

I would rather soft delete all the message just in case they could be needed in future. But if they were not restored x time after soft delete, they are subject to hard delete, it will help to keep forum data base clean and tidy. 1-2-3 years later nobody will need to restore soft deleted messages/threads, so what is the point to keep them in data base?