Do you need to pay $40 for updates for Each license if you have more than one?

Brad Padgett

Hey I'm thinking about purchasing a second license and I have a quick question. Does the $40 a year for updates (after your first year expires) include all licenses if you have more than one?

For example, I'll have access to the new version but is it against the rules to use the new version for a second license if one license expires?

Do I need to pay $40 for each license or does it cover all licenses?

Thanks for the help

but is it against the rules to use the new version for a second license if one license expires?
This would be outside the licensing agreement.
You are required to have an active license on each one that you install that new version on.... not to mention that you really should download the appropriate update/install for each one of those license and not just use one of the downloads on every install even if all are active licenses.

not to mention that you really should download the appropriate update/install for each one of those license and not just use one of the downloads on every install even if all are active licenses.
It's actually a requirement to use the correct license files for each site if you have multiple licenses.

This is especially relevant if you have the branding removal option as you may end up restoring the branding on a site you have paid to remove it from, or conversely, remove it from a site which does not have the branding removal option (which would be a breach of the license terms).

Similarly, if one license has access to a later version, which the other site does not, and you upgrade that site to a version it is not entitled to, that would also be a breach of the license terms.

It's actually a requirement to use the correct license files for each site if you have multiple licenses.

This is especially relevant if you have the branding removal option as you may end restoring the branding on a site you have paid to remove it from, or conversely, remove it from a site which does not have the branding removal option (which would be a breach of the license terms).

Similarly, if one license has access to a later version, which the other site does not, and you upgrade that site to a version it is not entitled to, that would also be a breach of the license terms.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't planning to do ANY of that. I just didn't know and wanted to ask. I don't think I'm going to buy another license until I'm ready for another site. That's the reason I asked.

I don't think I'm going to buy another license until I'm ready for another site

Don't forget that you don't HAVE to pay the update fee - you can simply purchase a second license now and you'll get 1 year worth of updates included for that license.

If your new site still isn't ready at that point, you don't have to pay the update fee - you'll still be able to run on the version that was current when your update license expired and then once you are ready to go live, you can pay the update fee, upgrade to the latest version and you're good to go.

It's not an annual subscription as such - it's a manual renewal which you can do at any time.

In the meantime, you can renew your existing license separately - you get full control of each license separately.

Don't forget that you don't HAVE to pay the update fee - you can simply purchase a second license now and you'll get 1 year worth of updates included for that license.

If your new site still isn't ready at that point, you don't have to pay the update fee - you'll still be able to run on the version that was current when your update license expired and then once you are ready to go live, you can pay the update fee, upgrade to the latest version and you're good to go.

It's not an annual subscription as such - it's a manual renewal which you can do at any time.

In the meantime, you can renew your existing license separately - you get full control of each license separately.

I know all this. It's alright though because I'd like to pay for a license after I decide to make a site. I was going to use it for add-ons once I learned how to make them which is the only reason I was going to use it. I'm still learning so I'd rather wait.

I was going to use it for add-ons once I learned how to make them which is the only reason I was going to use it.
which still can be done if you have one active license. Simply do a restricted development site that only you have access to. Protect it via .htaccess or the appropriate nginx stanza and you are golden. But it WILL require that license to be kept current.
You are allowed by the license to have one test/dev install with the above restriction and then one live site per active license. No need to buy a second license just for a test bed - unless you plan on selling/supporting your add-ons with a separate domain, then you would need to have 2 licenses to do so.

which still can be done if you have one active license. Simply do a restricted development site that only you have access to. Protect it via .htaccess or the appropriate nginx stanza and you are golden. But it WILL require that license to be kept current.
You are allowed by the license to have one test/dev install with the above restriction and then one live site per active license. No need to buy a second license just for a test bed - unless you plan on selling/supporting your add-ons with a separate domain, then you would need to do so.

Thank you. I was actually planning on making some free ones first that I supported and then possibly selling some later if I got good at it.

Currently I run my test install on localhost which is where I've been trying to learn. I appreciate the help.

Top Bottom