Do you import RSS News feed from other sites?

kaieivindm

If yes, where do you present it on your forum?
And how? With images, 140 chars? How often?

Would be great if someone can give me some examples of how it looks like!

If yes, where do you present it on your forum?
And how? With images, 140 chars? How often?

Would be great if someone can give me some examples of how it looks like!
When the incoming feeds get inserted they show up as any other thread would so there really isn't any difference between how they look versus a manually entered thread. I use it, for example, for NASA's Image of the Day (https://aliensoup.com/threads/nasa-image-of-the-day.58164/) along with an add-on to post subsequent entries in the same thread (withouth the add-on each feed entry would normally be it's own unique thread).
Do we have control on this with XenForo?
No, XF has no control over the incoming feed. If the feed has images in the description they'll get included in the {content} tag and you can optionally use the {enclosure_url} tag if the feed has it present. For the size of the {content} it'll be whatever size the feed is providing.

Random question, does all rss feed import needs to show in new posts? Or is it possible somewhat just to hide them? But still put all imports in a new thread for each import.

I use it on my forums. On one very often. People usualy don't reply to those posts, but they are useful piece of information for my members. But that really depends on your forum niche. I combine it with RSS add-on from Snog and Inoreader. I like RSS protocol.

You can also not show it in new posts by editing settings for each forum.

I have a hidden forum where all my incoming RSS feeds get dumped - I use them to watch my competition, and directory sites, and to gather intelligence on what's happening in niche. I also use them to post artworks (one is connected to a folder of my favorites - so if I favorite an artwork as part of the collection, it posts).

I don't display most RSS feeds publicly because of copyright concerns.

I have a hidden forum where all my incoming RSS feeds get dumped - I use them to watch my competition, and directory sites, and to gather intelligence on what's happening in niche. I also use them to post artworks (one is connected to a folder of my favorites - so if I favorite an artwork as part of the collection, it posts).

I don't display most RSS feeds publicly because of copyright concerns.

And each of them create a new thread in this hidden forum? Or posts in one thread?
Also, hos do you hide the new "threads" from Whats new? Is that becuase its "hidden"?

Top Bottom