Do You Have Forum Walkthrough Videos?

DRE

I never thought of making one before but my offline friends don't know how to post. They'd join and lurk because they are unfamiliar with message board forums. After posting my own Walkthrough videos, a poster posted another admin's Forum Walkthrough Video. I've never seen one like this before. My first vid is only 2 minutes. Wondering if I should make a longer one. This dude went in-depth. His is at least 14 minutes long.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I actually do this for my forums and a ton of people find it useful.

I personally set up a page and put the videos on it with a Nav bar link so its fairly easy for new people to find. Anyways I would break it down into sections based on add-ons I have on how to use this and that like how to create threads / post threads / like threads etc. Another one would be like Account settings video etc. That way it's broken down and they can just pick what they think they need help with instead of sitting through a long long video of which some they may already know.

Just my 2 cents :)

CivilWarTalk is a fascinating site, and surprisingly civil. ;)

Nicely done video walkthrough.

I need something like that but I don't have the equipment.

I had done one for VBulletin as 60-70% of my users have never used a forum before. I just haven't made one for XenForo yet. It did help that I posted a how to post in the Help section but many users still don't even know how to pm or find a person profile. It's frustrating since I find it as easy as breathing when navigating forum software, but I have to consider that not everyone in the world has visited a forum.

CivilWarTalk is a fascinating site, and surprisingly civil. ;)

Nicely done video walkthrough.

I need something like that but I don't have the equipment.
There's free video screen capture software out there. I can't remember what I used when I did mine but I'm sure a simple google will produce a fair amount of positive results.

I've wanted to create more interactive instructions with JavaScript, such as highlighting the new thread button and walking them through how to create a thread in realtime, rather than watching a video.
That would be an excellent add-on if you made it.
A "tutorial" mode that can be disabled after so many posts/or @ user preference.

I had done one for VBulletin as 60-70% of my users have never used a forum before. I just haven't made one for XenForo yet. It did help that I posted a how to post in the Help section but many users still don't even know how to pm or find a person profile. It's frustrating since I find it as easy as breathing when navigating forum software, but I have to consider that not everyone in the world has visited a forum.

The only thing that's helped is having a shoutbox. At least the ones who are able to figure out how to complete their registration have been able to post their questions.

There's free video screen capture software out there. I can't remember what I used when I did mine but I'm sure a simple google will produce a fair amount of positive results.

Thanks, I'll check into that.

I've wanted to create more interactive instructions with JavaScript, such as highlighting the new thread button and walking them through how to create a thread in realtime, rather than watching a video.
Way to think outside of the box! That is actually a really good idea because it would be more interactive for the user and would make them feel more engaged as well as more easily memorable than if they just watch a video for a couple of minutes that they might not even stumble upon in their first couple of visits but instead end up being like "Oh this would have helped me a year ago."

I did this when I migrated CycleChat from IPB to XF and afterwards posted a lot of "How to?" threads in a specific help forum at the top of the homepage covering the common things like creating threads, posting, editing, and uploading pics. I think it made a big difference and lots of people commented on how they found it helpful during the transition.

I've kept the how's as a sub-forum of the support forum so that others can continue to benefit. :D

I've decided after seeing a few members struggle with uploading photos, plus speaking to a few people who hardly know what a forum is let alone how to use one, to go down this route too and make some "How to" video guides.

I'll want to upload these to YouTube and embed them from there.

I'm after recommendations for programs to use to record my video clips please. I have looked at Screencast-o-matic above and wondered if there are any alternatives? Either on-line ones or software to download and install. I record on either a PC or Mac. Doesn't have to be free software but ideally fairly cheap :)

Top Bottom