1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have a separate development install for each of your sites?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Joe Link, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of standardization, both from a member and admin standpoint. I have a few sites that, to the best of my current ability, are configured exactly the same way. They use the same XenForo style, run the same add-ons, have the same ad locations, etc.

We're going to being development on a couple new features, as well as a refreshed style soon. My question is, does it make sense to create a separate development version of each of these sites, or will one work, if they're configured the same? I plan on continuing the standardized approach, and I'm guessing that keeping track of the changes and configurations across four dev sites is going to take a ton of time.

I'd like to know which pros or cons I might not be considering.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If each site has different XenForo versions and add-ons installed, then a separate one for each would enable you to do test upgrades of XenForo and the add-ons.
    If they are the same in terms of XenForo version and add-ons installed then only one is required.

3. Joe Link

Thanks for the reply. They're all exactly the same, or at least that's my goal.

As soon as I get a bit of free time I'll be hiring @AndyB to teach me how to write basic add-ons to replace template edits. Doing this makes a lot more sense to me, for someone who owns multiple forums, as you can simply go down the add-on list and see that everything is standardized.

AndyB likes this.
  4. Brogan

Creating a template modification as an add-on is very simple.

It isn't necessary to hire nor pay anyone.

5. Joe Link

It's worth it to me to have someone looking over my shoulder ;)

I owe him for all his excellent free add-ons anyhow.

6. Brogan

Free support for basic stuff like that is available on the forum from experienced developers.

Your choice though.

Joe Link and oman like this.
  7. thedude

thedude Well-Known Member

We do all template edits as template mods so it's simple keep it consistent across our sites. We put all the random template mods under a single add-on, and then it's easy to enable or disable them individually via the template modification page with just a mouse click. Just give each mod a good description so you can see what it is at a glance in the list.

Joe Link likes this.
  8. Joe Link

That's a great idea, thanks for the reply.