Do you guys think Xenforo 2 is easier at creating styles than Xenforo 1?

Brad Padgett

Just wanted to ask you guys if you think it's easier. I recently tried creating a theme for my Xenforo 2 site. I made a light and dark style with 5 colors for each one and while making it I realized how much more organized and easier it was to create then Xenforo 1. I'm not sure what the communities response to this will be but I remember trying to make one on Xenforo 1 and it was so much harder to find the right classes to style.

If you have a Xenforo 2 website and just haven't had the money to invest in a custom theme but have knowledge of CSS, I highly recommend you give styling your own site a try. You can see the example of what I did if you want by viewing my site in my signature. It took me 3 days straight to make but it wasn't hard at all.

One feature I really appreciate is the fact that it's so much easier to change colors. For example since Xenforo uses LESS all I had to do was edit the color palette and use those variables in my styling of the main colors. That's how I made the separate colors for my site in a breeze.

LESS is definitely a great feature for the site to have. I also couldn't find a way to get Font Awesome 5 to work as XF2 only supports Font Awesome 4 for now but found it just as efficient to use simple SVG for my node icons which basically takes Font Awesome 5 icons and uses them in a svg format.

But to some it up, Xenforo 2 styling is much easier in my opinion. Much more organized. I really urge you all to give styling your own site a try. What do you guys think?

Anecdotally, we're hearing the same feedback from customers across the board from novices and professional designers alike. Which, ultimately, is what we set out to do.

Glad to hear it. A feature I also appreciate is widget ids and nav bar ids. Where to simply add an icon to the nav or widget you just have to reference that ID (not to get confused with css IDs but the data-nav-id attribute itself... etc). Another great feature I was able to discover is each area on the forum (forum list, whats new... etc) has it's own template class. So where I would want to style a certain class that I wouldn't want styled on other pages, I can simply put the template class ahead of it and it will only do it for that specific area. But yes I agree and appreciate your response.

Top Bottom