Do we have to support resources?

DRE

Do we have to support resources because I don't have the time for it. VonDoom rated my Tynt resource 1 star because I haven't replied to his post. Where on xenforo.com states that we have to support resources because I haven't seen it? My next 1 stars will probably be because I didn't make any of my skins 'retina-ready' or updated them to xenForo 1.1.3. :ROFLMAO:

Do we have to support resources because I don't have the time for it. VonDoom rated my Tynt resource 1 star because I haven't replied to his post. Where on xenforo.com states that we have to support resources because I haven't seen it? My next 1 stars will probably be because I didn't make any of my skins 'retina-ready' or updated them to xenForo 1.1.3. :ROFLMAO:

Your not obliged to support any resources you submit, your free to do as you wish. Your resource submission your choice whatever you do with it.

Unfortunately, there have been occasions where the ratings are abused, simply as with anything else report it if you feel the rating is unfair.

I don't believe there is any requirements for modders, but it is commonly accepted that unless you state that you can't support something, that you will be supporting it. It seems like people are expecting it more, which isn't right, but to be honest if you can't support it then you need to put something at the top of your resource stating so. I have all the respect in the world for mod authors/designers and think it is unfair, unjust, and unkind when someone calls them out for not being able to support one of their resources, especially when those resources are free, but it is something that people have come to expect, support that is, from all authors. It is just the way things are; people want support and updates and they could hardly care about your reasons for not updating/supporting your product.

Your not obliged to support any resources you submit, your free to do as you wish. Your resource submission your choice whatever you do with it.

Unfortunately, there have been occasions where the ratings are abused, simply as with anything else report it if you feel the rating is unfair.
Alright. Creating things is fun but can be overbearing if you don't have the time to support it, hence dead-beat daddies. Bad analogy, I know.

No you don't (to my knowledge) although it will be nice to insert a note saying that the resource will not be supported, ;)
Not something most noobs think of when they start. It would be great if there was a checkbox that we can mark during creation of the resource that says it will be unsupported.

Alright. Creating things is fun but can be overbearing if you don't have the time to support it, hence dead-beat daddies. Bad analogy, I know.

I understand and you don't need to explain that to me and shouldn't to anyone else but as M@rc mentioned it might be nice if you inserted a note in the resource that it goes unsupported or responses may take a while due to higher priorities so other members know not to expect a reply as soon as they submit.

On that note. keep up the good work.

I don't believe there is any requirements for modders, but it is commonly accepted that unless you state that you can't support something, that you will be supporting it. It seems like people are expecting it more, which isn't right, but to be honest if you can't support it then you need to put something at the top of your resource stating so. I have all the respect in the world for mod authors/designers and think it is unfair, unjust, and unkind when someone calls them out for not being able to support one of their resources, especially when those resources are free, but it is something that people have come to expect, support that is, from all authors. It is just the way things are; people want support and updates and they could hardly care about your reasons for not updating/supporting your product.
*peeps your sig*

I'm mad Amon went out like that. I feel like they should've let him get away so he could come back and continue to wreck stuff up for Season 2.

*peeps your sig*

I'm mad Amon went out like that. I feel like they should've let him get away so he could come back and continue to wreck stuff up for Season 2.
<randomness>
But he was a bk...he wasn't anything he said he was and got pwned by Korra. Also, another bit of randomness: Korra can not be a fully realized Avatar because then she has nothing to do which means S2 would be boring. It better of just been a more conscious Avatar State but then Tenzin calling her "Avatar Korra" wouldn't make sense. I am torn up about the show right now, TLA was better but this one can still manipulate emotions. </randomness>

I understand and you don't need to explain that to me and shouldn't to anyone else but as M@rc mentioned it might be nice if you inserted a note in the resource that it goes unsupported or responses may take a while due to higher priorities so other members know not to expect a reply as soon as they submit.

On that note. keep up the good work.
pfft I'm straight. I'll just take these 1 stars and line them up together to make a 5.

<randomness>
But he was a bk...he wasn't anything he said he was and got pwned by Korra. Also, another bit of randomness: Korra can not be a fully realized Avatar because then she has nothing to do which means S2 would be boring. It better of just been a more conscious Avatar State but then Tenzin calling her "Avatar Korra" wouldn't make sense. I am torn up about the show right now, TLA was better but this one can still manipulate emotions. </randomness>
What's a bk?

and I'm surprised he got beat because he was such a talented water bender. I'm not even looking forward to S2.

What's a bk?

and I'm surprised he got beat because he was such a talented water bender. I'm not even looking forward to S2.
bk = bad kid.

He might of been good at waterbending but air is the best ^.^. Season 2 might be good; I will trust the writers and hope for the best.

If the mod is paid I expect updates for at least a few months (depending on what I paid). For example the social groups mod? If I had paid for that and no updates at all. I'd have been angry. I'd probably try to modify it for my own needs and release my updates to fellow users (share and share alike).

If I'm downloading mods for free? I expect no support. In fact when i post questions I don't expect the author to reply. I see us as a community and that users will share information between each other. That's why i make little useless posts on certain threads. Seems obvious to the authors and programmers, but to simple folks who just buy this software with zero php knowledge.... it might be helpful.

"Best effort" support is nice, but beyond that I would say, no.

By "best effort" I mean that your resource should work for the majority without issue... If it only works for you or maybe a small hand of lucky people... ie... An odd ratio of 5 out of 100 for example.... It would be "nice" to try to resolve the issue, because clearly then it should be obvious that there is one and if it's not working for anyone, why release it?!

But I do not believe you should be required to support every possible outcome... ie... Every other conflicting template edit, custom skin, modification, add-on, or 3rd party product someone else install and so happen doesn't work so well with your release. It is nice of someone to point out that conflict or issue and if you "want" to try to help them, it is very good of you and generous of you, but I do not see a requirement there.

I sometimes see what people say to developers when things do not go so well for them (no one here in particular) and I sometimes want to jump up mad at them. Their "childish tentrum tantrums" (out burst) discourages the developer and other developers a like, from wanting to release future free modifications, add-ons, templates, skins, or 3rd party products.

I'm very thankful for the hard work people freely place in releasing free resources. And I wish other people here would show some more respect to those who freely and selfishly provide that for the community here.

A simple im pressed for time would have sufficed. I patiently waited for a reply of any type for a week. Even politely bumped the thread a cpl times, in case it escaped your attention. I did all this long before i rated this Hack on its support. Which by the way i clearly stated in my comments. Interesting you site time as an excuse to not support your collection however you find no prolem finding time to create this silly thread based on a rating?

To your own thread? Thats no excuse how many posts have you racked up since i first requested a bit of guidance, in your resource thread?
-------------------
edit: And for the record i don't "Expect" any mod author to support there free products, But there was no indication that you weren't supporting it, as a matter of fact i seen plenty that would indicate the opposite.

To your own thread? Thats no excuse how many posts have you racked up since i first requested a bit of guidance, in your resource thread?
There are plenty of my own threads I have not replied to. I'm just random and lose interest in stuff. To answer your question in the thread though, I don't know.

Whilst I fully acknowledge anyone's right to support or not support material they publish, as they see fit, VonDoom does have a point. If you have time to post threads like this then you have time to respond to a PM or thread to say "Sorry, I'm not offering support of this resource". To ignore PMs and posts in your own resource thread on the basis of "lack of time" then start posting like in this thread doesn't really make a lot of sense and ends up taking more of your time than if you just fired off a quick response to the original question - or updated your resource listing to say you won't support it.

y
Ever just not feel like replying?
I think a quick reply of 1 of the following would be acceptable and generally good manners

• I do not have time at this time
OR

• That is not an issue with this modification / template / skin / add-on / 3rd party product and out of the scope of my support
Which I believe counts as "best effort" support. Simply post X resource and completely abandoned it is not nice.

But I also believe those who request support need to learn patience.

A develop is a person, just like everyone else. Things come up in the real world, off-line, away from the Internet, and maybe more important than coming on-line to fix code. We too have normal lives that must be lived. And so I do think those who freely ask for support need to understand that, while your issue maybe mission critical to you, so may someone else be to us at the moment.

I also believe those who request support need to learn respect. Someone has kindly, generously, and freely provided you with a valued and free resource. No one has required them to do so. This is their time, their effort, and their work. Being disrespectful isn't going to yield you the best of results and most likely will discourage the good person who started wanting to help this community.

FYI... I personally ignore people who prove to lack patience and respect. And find it funny, as everyone else is helped and they continue to wonder why their issue is ignored.

I like to think that there is an unwritten code of ethics with any release, but it does go both ways.

Top Bottom