Do we have any Indian members? Games complete disaster?

Jethro

News coming through the Aussie press has it the games preparation is peppered with disaster after disaster. Apparently we have bridges collapsing, the roof of the weight lifting stadium falling in, and games village toilets not actually being hooked up! While I think most of our pampered team members should take a cup of concrete and harden up, hey it's not going to effect the NZ Sevens team racing to the gold medal, am wondering how much of this is actual media hype and how much is real?

Trying very hard not to make a joke about terrorists and the shooting competitions .... biting tongue ...

An Indian member here.

Trust me, almost everyone I know wants the games to be canceled.

We have been suffering for months now because of how they are doing the construction and upgradation.

And things are becoming worse.

The government continues to claim that the common man benefits the most from the infrastructure development...

But in the end, it is all a sham. there are enough stories on how the people involved are making crores of rupees and the end result is the mismanaged and under-prepared structures.

Anyways, the games are likely to take place. Maybe with even fewer atheletes participating in it. Does not bother me.

Most of us have just decided to totally avoid visiting Delhi during daytime because the traffic situation is pathetic!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9025907.stm

Trust me, we are enjoying stories like these.

An Indian member here.

We have been suffering for months now because of how they are doing the construction and upgradation.

And things are becoming worse.

The government continues to claim that the common man benefits the most from the infrastructure development...

But in the end, it is all a sham. there are enough stories on how the people involved are making crores of rupees and the end result is the mismanaged and under-prepared structures.

Anyways, the games are likely to take place. Maybe with even fewer atheletes participating in it. Does not bother me.

Most of us have just decided to totally avoid visiting Delhi during daytime because the traffic situation is pathetic!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9025907.stm

Trust me, we are enjoying stories like these.

To be fair, looking at the photo's, it's not finished yet. They can complain once it's supposed to be open and it still looks like that.

If it was being built where I live, half the stuff would have been nicked by now, or full of teenagers drinking!

from what i have heard athletes have started arriving in the games village and these are some of the rooms from that village.

a couple of complaints have already been made about the poor conditions of the flats in the games village.

the basic problem is that some of the flats that were not locked were being used by the labor and their families.

the games are hardly 10 days away. these pictures are pretty recent. and rains are not stopping in delhi. and government have nothing but excuses and promises...

am wondering how much of this is actual media hype and how much is real?
Unfortunately this is not the usual media hype. The Indian press is covering exactly the same thing. Some relevant links to the TOI (Times of India) website:
Cancelling the event would be less of a disgrace. Yes. But I actually want the event to go on and fail miserably. Would teach the government a lesson or two, for taking up something which they clearly can't execute.

And to add to this mess: we have the verdict on the Ayodhya Issue coming up on 28th of September; which has the potential to spark communal riots in various parts of the country.

haha. i would not mind a messed up tournament. but as someone who lives around Delhi, i had rather have peaceful 14 days with no road blocks and major traffic jams than mmm celebrate the failure (!?).

i feel bad for people who are going to suffer financially during this period because of all the restrictions that would be in place during the games.

they have already messed up some of the biggest marketplaces in delhi in the name of construction and development.

here is an example:

anyone from delhi would confirm this fact alone. connaught place was great 2 years ago. today it is a mess which was supposed to be fixed 2-3 months ago. but the authorities now want another six months to fix it up. six months after the games are concluded!

basically, they practically destroyed the place to fix it for CWG 2010. but they failed to fix it in time. and they would just hide the junk behind boardings. and would start working on it again once the games are over.

people running their shops and offices in that area have been suffering for two years. they would suffer during the games. and their suffering would continue for another six months!

forget the business that was to be gained from the tourists during the games period!

and you know what Delhi CM has to say about all this?

how can you pray for the failure of the tournament being an indian?

how can you stay that the tournament has been a failure before it has even started!

i mean, we were never part of the damn thing! no one asked us if we wanted this mess in the first place!

they won the rights way back in 2003 i believe. they only started working on it in 2008!

if the work had started on time, it could have been done in stages properly. but no sire... they started it so late that it was all to be done together. and that practically messed up the city completely.

sometimes i feel happy that i do not have to travel around delhi everyday. i live in a suburb named gurgaon. and even we are not spared from the mess.

Top Bottom