Do any of you actually use the sibling forums?

Yes, on occasion, rather than creating a node and then having to specify the category it's in, I've clicked on a node already in that category and then used the Create Sibling button.

Yes, on occasion, rather than creating a node and then having to specify the category it's in, I've clicked on a node already in that category and then used the Create Sibling button.
Don't you just make a child node of the category?

I have NEVER created a sibling forum. Do any of you use it?
Technically speaking if you have any two nodes that are children of another node than you use child and sibling nodes.

In the acp the options are more of an accessibility / ease of use thing. If you have a node 'Node1' and it has a child node 'childnode1' , than creating a child of 'node1' or a sibling of 'childnode1' is the same thing. Either way the options are useful when you happen to be looking at the node tree and want to create a new node, it saves a step and the value of it becomes more apparent as your node list gets large.

Last edited:
I've used both.

As @EQnoble says it's all about accessibility and ease of use and it gives folks options on how they want to create nodes.
Oh I know, I was just curious whether you used child ones too :) They both effectively do the same thing, so for me I automatically go for child instead of sibling. I've never really seen the point in having two options for the same thing, pretty much in the same location.

think of this...the bold ones are the ones visible in the scroll region

---parent 1
----child 1
----child 2
----child 3
----child 4
----child 5
----child 6
----child 7
----child 8
----child 9
----child 10
----child 11
----child 12
----child 13
----child 14
----child 15
----child 16

----child 17
----child 18

what is the easiest to use in this scenario to add a node with the same parent (parent 1)...probably sibling...because you can click the create sibling node button for any of the child # node ids with out having to scroll back up to the parent

Oh I know, I was just curious whether you used child ones too :) They both effectively do the same thing, so for me I automatically go for child instead of sibling. I've never really seen the point in having two options for the same thing, pretty much in the same location.
I probably use Child more than Sibling. It's nice having both options though as you are not restricted to creating some forums from within certain other forums as you would be if Child was the only option.

Currently building out my private practice version of my forum that has more than 150 separate discussion boards in roughly 15 separate categories. Add Sibling has become my new best friend, right after the Private Node checkbox.

Reactions: Xon
Top Bottom