1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displaying content in tabs dynamically

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by Myke623, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Myke623

Myke623 Active Member

I'm creating an add-on which displays some data from the database. Essentially, this data is in the form of:

{Topic}, {Category}, {Item}

For any given topic, I currently display as a long list of its items, grouped by category:

Category A
    Item 1
    Item 2
    Item 3
    Category B
    Item 4
    Item 5
    Item 6

This is achieved purely in the template by using the <xen:set> tag to detect a change in category within the <xen:foreach> loop.

However, I was wondering if it would be possible to display each category in a separate tab? Are there any examples out there that I could learn from? The challenge being that for any given topic, the number and names of the categories are variable.

Basically, instead of inserting a new header for each category, I want to break out into a new tab.

Any advice on how this may be achieved would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. Myke623

Myke623 Active Member

After some tinkering around, I think I've got a working solution. The template is essentially as follows:

<xen:set var="$firstPass">1</xen:set>
    <ul class="tabs mainTabs Tabs" data-panes="#myPanes > li" data-history="on">
        <xen:foreach loop="$categoryList" value="$cat">
            <li><a href="{$requestPaths.requestUri}#{$cat.category}">{$cat.category}</a></li>
    <ul id="myPanes">
        <xen:foreach loop="$itemList" value="$item">
            <xen:if is="{$firstPass}">
                <li id="{$item.category}">
                <xen:set var="$firstPass">0</xen:set>
            <xen:elseif is="{$item.category} != {$curCat}" />
                <li id="{$item.category}">
            <xen:set var="$curCat">{$item.category}</xen:set>
    I ended up creating an additional method to my Model that gets all the categories for a given topic. This was then used to populate an additional $viewParam.

So the first <ul> uses a 'foreach' loop to set up the tabs according to the $categoryList (defined above).

The second <ul> uses a 'foreach' loop to populate each pane (or tab) with content ($item.name), checking for category changes along the way (comparing to $curCat).

The $firstPass variable is there to initiate the opening <li> for the very first category encountered. Subsequent changes in category will close the the preceeding one (</li>) before starting the new (<li>). Once the loop has ended, the last category is closed (</li>) as well as the main list (</ul>).

Here's a screenshot of my particular (and unfinished!) implementation:

If there's a more elegant solution to this, I'd love to see it. Otherwise, I hope this helps other struggling add-on developers (like me!) that need to create tabs dynamically based on content.