• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Display order numbering for categories and forums

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
This might seem like an obvious one to some people but when entering the display order numbers, use increments of 10 or more to allow for changes in the future.

For example, if you have the following forums set up and number them 1 to 5:

Forum A
Forum B
Forum C
Forum D
Forum E

If you add a forum in the future between forums 1 and 2, you will have to renumber every forum below it to get the order correct.

If however you number them 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 then you have the ability to add 9 more forums between each one.

If you want to be really on the safe side then you can number them 100, 200, 300....

The same principle applies to display styling priority for user groups.

interesting ...
xf should have an arrow up and down, lets not use numbering system?
Why not go the whole hog and use a complete widget system, so I can just drag from the top straight to the bottom and not repeatedly click a down arrow!

This is how I do my forums Brogan, what would solve this issue would be what IPB have done with their forum management. Drag and Drop :)

I've used 10,20,30 for a while now. It would be nice to be able to just drag and drop or at least have those numbers right on the main page so you didn't have to go into each one individually.

sorry.. this feature already exist ?
that depends on what you mean.
if you refer to the ability to order nodes, the answer is yes.
if you refer to the ability to do it easily, from the listing, using any of the ways suggested in this thread, the answer is no.

if you refer to the ability to order nodes, the answer is yes. -- where is that ? I can't see it

Top Bottom