Disallow polls

I don't see any option or permission to disable polls. But you can remove it from the templates:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> thread_create

Find and remove this block of code:

Code:
	<h3 class="textHeading">{xen:phrase post_poll}</h3>	
	<dl class="ctrlUnit">
		<dt><label for="ctrl_poll_question">{xen:phrase question}:</label></dt>
		<dd><input type="text" name="poll[question]" class="textCtrl" id="ctrl_poll_question" maxlength="100" /></dd>
	</dl>	
	<dl class="ctrlUnit">
		<dt>{xen:phrase possible_responses}:</dt>
		<dd>
			<ul class="PollResponseContainer">
				<xen:foreach loop="$pollExtraArray" value="$null">
					<li class="PollNonJsInput"><input type="text" name="poll[responses][]" class="textCtrl" placeholder="{xen:phrase poll_choice}..." maxlength="100" /></li>
				</xen:foreach>
				<li><input type="text" name="poll[responses][]" class="textCtrl" placeholder="{xen:phrase poll_choice}..." maxlength="100" /></li>
				<li><input type="text" name="poll[responses][]" class="textCtrl" placeholder="{xen:phrase poll_choice}..." maxlength="100" /></li>
			</ul>
			<input type="button" value="{xen:phrase add_additional_response}" class="button smallButton FieldAdder JsOnly" data-source="ul.PollResponseContainer li" data-maxfields="{$xenOptions.pollMaximumResponses}" />
		</dd>
	</dl>
	<!-- slot: after_poll_responses -->
	<dl class="ctrlUnit">
		<dt></dt>
		<dd>
			<ul>
				<li><label for="ctrl_poll_multiple"><input type="checkbox" name="poll[multiple]" value="1" id="ctrl_poll_multiple" /> {xen:phrase allow_selection_of_multiple_responses}</label></li>
				<li><label for="ctrl_poll_public_votes"><input type="checkbox" name="poll[public_votes]" value="1" id="ctrl_poll_public_votes" /> {xen:phrase display_votes_publicly}</label></li>
				<li><label for="ctrl_poll_close"><input type="checkbox" name="poll[close]" value="1" class="Disabler" id="ctrl_poll_close" /> {xen:phrase close_this_poll_after}:</label>
					<ul id="ctrl_poll_close_Disabler">
						<li>
							<input type="text" size="5" name="poll[close_length]" value="7" class="textCtrl autoSize" />
							<select name="poll[close_units]" class="textCtrl autoSize">
								<option value="hours">{xen:phrase hours}</option>
								<option value="days" selected="selected">{xen:phrase days}</option>
								<option value="weeks">{xen:phrase weeks}</option>
								<option value="months">{xen:phrase months}</option>
							</select>
						</li>
					</ul>
				</li>
			</ul>
		</dd>
	</dl>

Thanks for posting that code, Jake. I was trying to figure out how to eliminate the poll feature. I had no idea that it could not be toggled on or off.

I would not mind a poll feature as long as it was not attached to every post.

P.S. Removing the code worked perfectly! Thanks again.

Co-mingling of [New Threads] and [New Polls] where you have the option to start a poll with every new thread you create is weird.
Only vBulletin was like that.
The fact that Xenforo adopted that is weird.

There are 22,200 threads here.
There are probably ? 75 polls. (Note: it is too hard to find polls ! I can't count them .. because they can't be found).

To offer something up 22,200 times when only 75 times people wanted it ... just doesn't make good sense.
IMO.

Can this not go to the Devs for a formal solution to limit the ability to start a poll? Or at least an acknowledgement of this being a 'problem' with the intent of doing something about it?

I would like to see polls covered by the permission settings (I haven't gone through all the permissions yet, does this already exist?). I'm used to allowing post creation only by admins and voting only by registered users. Thus polls are for something important. It's been my experience that most people want to voice their opinion anyways, and they do this by replying after a poll. At that point I might as well just ask the question and not bother with the poll.

I don't see any option or permission to disable polls. But you can remove it from the templates:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> thread_create

Find and remove this block of code:

Code:
    <h3 class="textHeading">{xen:phrase post_poll}</h3>   
    <dl class="ctrlUnit">
        <dt><label for="ctrl_poll_question">{xen:phrase question}:</label></dt>
        <dd><input type="text" name="poll[question]" class="textCtrl" id="ctrl_poll_question" maxlength="100" /></dd>
    </dl>   
    <dl class="ctrlUnit">
        <dt>{xen:phrase possible_responses}:</dt>
        <dd>
            <ul class="PollResponseContainer">
                <xen:foreach loop="$pollExtraArray" value="$null">
                    <li class="PollNonJsInput"><input type="text" name="poll[responses][]" class="textCtrl" placeholder="{xen:phrase poll_choice}..." maxlength="100" /></li>
                </xen:foreach>
            </ul>
            <input type="button" value="{xen:phrase add_additional_response}" class="button smallButton FieldAdder JsOnly" data-source="ul.PollResponseContainer li" data-maxfields="{$xenOptions.pollMaximumResponses}" />
        </dd>
    </dl>
    <!-- slot: after_poll_responses -->
    <dl class="ctrlUnit">
        <dt></dt>
        <dd>
            <ul>
                <li><label for="ctrl_poll_multiple"><input type="checkbox" name="poll[multiple]" value="1" id="ctrl_poll_multiple" /> {xen:phrase allow_selection_of_multiple_responses}</label></li>
                <li><label for="ctrl_poll_public_votes"><input type="checkbox" name="poll[public_votes]" value="1" id="ctrl_poll_public_votes" /> {xen:phrase display_votes_publicly}</label></li>
                <li><label for="ctrl_poll_close"><input type="checkbox" name="poll[close]" value="1" class="Disabler" id="ctrl_poll_close" /> {xen:phrase close_this_poll_after}:</label>
                    <ul id="ctrl_poll_close_Disabler">
                        <li>
                            <input type="text" size="5" name="poll[close_length]" value="7" class="textCtrl autoSize" />
                            <select name="poll[close_units]" class="textCtrl autoSize">
                                <option value="hours">{xen:phrase hours}</option>
                                <option value="days" selected="selected">{xen:phrase days}</option>
                                <option value="weeks">{xen:phrase weeks}</option>
                                <option value="months">{xen:phrase months}</option>
                            </select>
                        </li>
                    </ul>
                </li>
            </ul>
        </dd>
    </dl>
I see this option, but I also see the option located at the following thread.
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/i-want-only-mods-to-be-able-to-create-polls.64053/#post-676627

Which one to use?

Top Bottom