Lack of interest Disable Member Links for Guests

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

nrep

At the moment, if profile viewing is disabled for guests, clicking on a username will result in a permissions error message.

It would be much better (SEO wise), to allow for disabling member profile links. IPB 3.3 and VBSEO both allow this and it would be great to see XF introduce this option too. Having member profile pages indexed or having links that lead nowhere isn't ideal for search engines/guests.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I rather see the link there, provoking guests to register and become part of a community if they want to connect with others. Instead of giving them the impression it's not even possible in the first place and not provoke them to register to participate.

I understand that pov, however it's not a big deal to guests (plus we usually block profile pages from search engines anyway, as it's not useful content) - so it would be nice to stop link juice being wasted. Would really like to see this added as an option.

To achieve this, a lot of templates need to be edited with a conditional to check against if visitor is a registered member. Gonna suck during upgrades.

Any more thoughts on this one? I've got some sites with the member profile disabled for guest users, however they can still click on the username link only to see a no-permission error. It would be much cleaner to only display this link if the permissions are there.

I guess an add-on could be made that overrides the <xen:username> tag callback and checks if the visitor is a guest, and if so renders the username unlinked...

Liam

Top Bottom