Difference between ImageMagick and PECL Imagick?

Thomas P

Hello

good so see that ImageMagick is supported in XenForo 1.0.4, but what is the difference compared to ImageMagick, expecially how vBulletin has implemented it?
Reason why I ask is that vB & ImageMagick runs per default setting on our server, PECL Imagick not.

What is the difference and what is the benfit of the XenForo implementation?

Thanks,

Most hosts I'm using don't have ImageMagick installed. They told me ImageMagick needs command line and they don't want to enable that. PECL seems to be the standard that every hosts provide.

I have to revisit this topic: Our PHP Version was upgraded and PECL/Imagick was disabled in XenForo, because it needs to be recompiled.

I'm still unsure if we really need PECL/Imagick or if PHP built-in GD image library will be sufficient.

What is the difference between PECL/Imagick or GD?

Does XenForo use any features in one of both libraries which are not available in the other?
What is the best setting for Big Boards regarding performance?

Thanks,
Tom

If you want to allow animated avatars, you will need to use PECL.

Why is my animated avatar not working?
Avatars are resized for use throughout the forum and the default software used to perform the resizing does not support animated images. They will however still be displayed correctly on member cards and profiles. In order to display animated avatars throughout the forum, you must have the PECL imagick extension available on your server, then select it in the ACP -> Options -> Attachments: Default Image Processor.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180445

Top Bottom