Not planned Detection of multiple registrations by IP.address, + another suggestion/bug.

JVCode

I signed up using another email and username, X3nforo. I decided to LIKE a post I made, and it counted towards my overall "likes" - I'm proposing that either multiple registrations by x.y.z.ip are disabled, or if enabled, aren't allowed to LIKE posts made on that IP. Or even use the method above, and have an allow list for multiple IP's. I can see the "Like" and achievement/trophy system being abused otherwise.

Edit: I'm also able to "follow" myself.

Hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
To cut everything down to a single IP doesn't seem to make sense. What about proxy environments? There could be thousands of users with just a single IP to the outside.

Unless your forum is going to be the same size as Facebook, I doubt very much that any two members of your little community will be using the same open proxy.

Unless your forum is going to be the same size as Facebook, I doubt very much that any two members of your little community will be using the same open proxy.
ISPs sometimes route multiple customers through the same public IP address. People at the same organization/workplace often have the same public IP as well. etc, etc.

As I said in the first post, an allow list (like the ones you have on routers for incomming MAC addresses) could be added in the admin panel.

Personally, I think some sort of system should be put in place to try and stop members just re-registering easily and abusing the like & trophy system.

You'll thank me one day ! ;)

Top Bottom