Design and Usability feedback on our FX Site please

Hi Guys

Our site is almost live but would really, really appriciate some quality feedback on design and usability..

http://www.phatollie.com/

P.S. if any of you are into skateboarding please register, your support is needed and very welcome..

Thanks in advance guys and girls..

There's lots to like about this site. First what a brilliant use of a background image to bring the page alive and also double as your logo. Second, I like minimalist designs like this (in the posts themselves) which streamline the discussion - no long postbits (where the avatar lives) and at least as a guest no signatures either. So, your threads really get down to good content without being distracted, which I think keeps true to one of the core features of XenForo. Search engines will probably like that too.

The only thing that's not for me is the very narrow page. I would like to see it wider - but that is just a personal preference.

Also when looking at sub forums, things seem to go wrong on my browser (Firefox on a Mac) see attached screen shot, should latest post info be over on the right like this?:

Screen shot 2011-05-24 at 13.09.19.webp

Well done though - very nice job :)

Ingenious... I feel like I owe you something for that kind response... lol

It's not your browser.. As the catagory page hasn't been sorted yet.. one of the many jobs still to do.

Can I ask what others feel about the width of the content page as this was my idea to shink it down.. As I,m not keen on most forums that have lots of blank and baggy spaces????

I agree with Ingenious. Very well done.
I like the width of the page, but it could be a bit wider. Do you have it set at 960px? Try 980.

Otherwise, I really like this.

Just an FYI, but if you're looking for feedback, suggestions, critical reviews of your site, it's always better to post it as a separate thread.
Otherwise it will just get lost in this huge thread which is primarily just for posting links to sites.

Ok brogan, sorry, is it possible for you to cut and paste my post and the comments into a new thread in the right section of your forum?

If not can you link me to the correct section and i will start a new thread?

I've split the posts off.
There isn't a forum for these threads yet, but there will be soon.

Let me know what thread title you want and I'll edit it.

I really like your color. Minimal, clean and very sleak.

The forum list is looking a little tight. I'd give those header with red border a little more inside padding to make some breathing room. And add some margin-bottom beneath the Discussions: x Messages: x Sub-Forums: part.

You might want to consider centering your background-image so it won't stay in place when browser's resize to the side. Also you should think about ways to blend it to the background-color.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.webp
    Untitled-1.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 4
Looks good, and I like the background image doubled-up as a forum header too, however I'm not getting along very well with all the greys - especially the background greys - they're a bit too light and make the white text faint. Maybe darken some of the grey text items too to give some more contrast there too.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Hi Guys

Our site is almost live but would really, really appreciate some quality feedback on design and usability..

http://www.phatollie.com/

P.S. if any of you are into skateboarding please register, your support is needed and very welcome..

Thanks in advance guys and girls..

I like it. Where your logo sits inside of the 3/4 mini bowl is awesome, the focus of the picture and the aspect put your eyes right there when you first get to the page. I would suggest something for the background image but I don't know how to word it...if you send a private conversation message with a link to that background image I can edit it and send you back a visual of what I was thinking.

If you would like me to do that I would just have a couple of questions.
Did you add the white gradient to the bottom of the image?
If so can you upload the image without it?

If you would like me to do that I would just have a couple of questions.
Did you add the white gradient to the bottom of the image?
If so can you upload the image without it?

Funnily enough I was in the middle of sorting the backgroung out last night and had to go to bed.. :giggle:

I have changed the image to a black gradient to the bottom AND sides with a black background but have yet to upload it. It shout then have no blank spaces on any size screen.. (I hope).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the feedback, some of which we agree totally with and wil make amendments as we go..

Keep it coming guys..!

Top Bottom