Dell UP3214Q

Floren

I unpacked this baby today:

IMG_20140319_161429.webp

Contrary to other online reviews from real people (example), I had zero issues with the monitor (knock on wood). Not a dead pixel and the color calibration is shockingly accurate, with very little light bleeding at the bottom. I was really worried after spending $3,000 CAD, not to have a good product on hand. I know, I can always refund it but I did not wanted to play ping-pong and instead, to rather use a great monitor.

On the hardware side, the materials used are simply excellent, the screen bezel and stand are made of real aluminium. Dell put a lot of effort on details and they even have a cable cover to make everything neat behind the monitor. The screen thickness is also half, compared to my other U2412M monitor.

On the software side, Windows 8.1 handles the monitor very well. My video card is an Asus GeForce 660 GTX and NVIDIA have their drivers updated to fully support DisplayPort 1.2, I'm currently running the native Microsoft drivers without issues (NVIDIA control panel drivers updates are disabled). One thing is sure, watching a Pixar movie like The Incredibles on this screen makes my HD TV look really crappy. The image quality is simply stunning, I cannot believe what a HUGE difference it makes compared to my other Dell U3014. In fact, I'm facing a major issue: I cannot work with both monitors side by side because the UP3214Q resolution is way to high and I have to keep the screen close to my nose. :)

There are 2 issues I have on hand:
  1. When I restart Windows 8.1, the BIOS screen is not visible on UP3214Q (screen dead), but OK on U2412M (U3014 is not plugged now), so at least I can see what is going on.
  2. The provided cable is too short, I need at least 10 feet. I have a large desk so longer cables are required. So far, everyone is saying the the only cable that works well with this monitor is the 6 feet one included into box.
I'll post more details later on...

Edit: Holly crap, Google already has this thread indexed, 10 minutes after I post it... XF rocks. :)

Last edited:
Nice one!

I loved my 30" Dell, but I sold it recently after selling my Mac Pro - because I was tired of being changed to the desk all the time!

Now I use my 27" Dell when I want to hook my MBA up to a monitor, but use the MBA solo whenever I can (it's now my full time dev machine - awesome little computer).

I bought one of these a week ago to replace my now 4 year old 3008WFP. I loved it at first - the resolution is massive, text is super sharp just like on my Macbook Pro Retina. I later ran into some issues though, for one the monitor sometimes entered power saving mode when switching resolutions or alt tabbing in a game. A full reboot was required to get the monitor operational again. Sometimes Windows would boot to only half the screen rendered and I had to switch resolutions back and forth to get things working (yes, I used the supplied cable).

Searching around on the Dell forums one of the reps said this is a firmware issue, and if you want it fixed you'll have to exchange your unit for a refurb with the updated firmware. I don't know if that's true or not, sometimes these reps can be misinformed, but if it is that's unacceptable.

On a cheaper monitor I'd be willing to put up with these issues but a $3000 product should have all basic functionality working correctly, especially as this is being marketed as a 'pro' product.

I ended up returning it... now waiting for the second wave of 4K monitors.

nice buy ! shame my desk is too small for this LOL

take a photo of your desk with the monitors side by side would be interesting to see :)

how does xenforo look at that resolution ?

I used to have a 36 inch monitor. I have gone back to triple 24 inch Asus gaming monitors. Much easier on the eyes and I don't have to push them so far back.

Not sure why would have the nvidia control panel turned off. That doesn't really make any sense.

Searching around on the Dell forums one of the reps said this is a firmware issue, and if you want it fixed you'll have to exchange your unit for a refurb with the updated firmware. I don't know if that's true or not, sometimes these reps can be misinformed, but if it is that's unacceptable.
You are correct, there is a firmware issue on both sides, NVIDIA and Dell. NVIDIA suggests to go back to driver version 327.23, but that makes the screen act weird in my case. So far, I got it working with zero issues while paired with a 24 inch screen and 335.23 drivers. The small screen act as a "kicker" and forces UP3214Q to come alive always, I don't have any sleep issues. The 327.23 drivers work because the broken 4K support in both NVIDIA and Dell firmware. There is a long discussion in Dell forums about those issues, page 10 shows the 327.23 fix. I will wait a year and have the monitor exchanged for a new one, I refuse to get a refurbished item as the one I have on hand is simply perfect, with almost no light bleeding and other defects that plague this model.

Last edited:
Take a photo of your desk with the monitors side by side would be interesting to see :)
The browser is sized at 1280x1024, current discussion in XenForo:

IMG_20140324_195216.webp

The picture does not make justice at all, the image quality is stunning.
Because the positioned angle, the screen looks smaller... is a LOT bigger in reality. :)

Last edited:
Final setup, U3014 - UP3214Q - U3014.
On the left screen I run a Dell Venue 11 Pro connected through Mini DisplayPort, I use this as work laptop. I can switch back to full surround on all 3 screens.
ouch all I can think of is a sore neck (left and right viewing).. I know as I use 3x Dell U2410s in such layout :)

I ordered 2 telescopic arms to make the side monitors move in every direction, I'll have them setup next week. It will avoid the cluttering on the desk and allow me positioning the monitors anywhere I like.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I ordered 2 telescopic arms to make the side monitors move in every direction, I'll have them setup next week. It will avoid the cluttering on the desk and allow me positioning the monitors anywhere I like.
yup the only way to setup multi monitor setups.

I use Adtec Levitate LCD arms http://www.atdec.com/levitate-monitor-arm-single-black

tried many LCD arms and Levitates are by far the easiest to install http://www.atdec.com/SiteMedia/w3svc1068/Uploads/Documents/Levitate L-PB Installation manual.pdf and work amazingly :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom