Default XenForo images path question

Despair

Why does XenForo request some of the default style xenforo images from:
styles/default/xenforo

While some images are using:
@imagePath/xenforo

For example, gradients, editor icons, ui sprite.

Wouldn't it be better to just call all regular XF images from styles/default/xenforo?

I guess it kind of annoys me that I need to copy the xenforo subfolder into my own style and it's kind of duplicated in two locations. For people who have multiple styles, there is even more duplication as they need to copy the xenforo folder into each style. I suppose you can just copy the required folders only such as the gradients and editor icon folders and a few other files, but you still have multiple locations to look for when dealing with just XF images.

Am I missing an advantage of this way?

You set the image path in Style Properties -> General -> Settings.

Then you just have to copy any new or updated images to your style and delete the default style directory if you wish.

You set the image path in Style Properties -> General -> Settings.

Then you just have to copy any new or updated images to your style and delete the default style directory if you wish.
Hmm, maybe you misunderstood me.

For example, if you set your style path to:
styles/mystyle

Some default XF images would now be requested from:
styles/mystyle/xenforo

Which means I need to copy and paste the styles/xenforo images folder into styles/mystyle.

I'm questioning why not just request all default xf images from styles/default/xenforo?

Each style should have a directory on the server.
The default style has default/, all other styles should have their own directory.

That allows for complete customisation and isolation from other styles.

Yea, I guess at the cost of duplicating some images. If you have 5 styles:
styles/style1
styles/style2
styles/style3
styles/style4
styles/style5

You'll need to copy the xenforo images into 5 styles? Not too fond of that. Additionally if some default images are changed, you now need to go into each sub folder and replace the image.

Since you won't be deleting the default style folder, requesting all default xf images from that folder seems better IMO. Your own style folder will still contain all your customised images.

Top Bottom