Dedicated Server Hosting?

jonsidneyb

I am not looking for a cheap dedicated server. I want good customer service and reliability on a managed server.

Only reason I said it like this is often people will try and show the cheapest. I value good service and reliability over price.

Who should I go to for this?

This is what my current server is.

Intel Core2Duo with 2GB of RAM, a 160GB hard-drive, and 2,000GB of bandwidth.

The server I have now does crash from time to time.

1) where are you located (country)
2) from wich country your users are coming from mostly?

if your current server is also a manged server then just ask them to fix the problems.

I am not looking for a cheap dedicated server. I want good customer service and reliability on a managed server.

Only reason I said it like this is often people will try and show the cheapest. I value good service and reliability over price.

Who should I go to for this?

This is what my current server is.

Intel Core2Duo with 2GB of RAM, a 160GB hard-drive, and 2,000GB of bandwidth.

The server I have now does crash from time to time.

I've just got a new server at UKFast, www.ukfast.com - take a look at their Enterprise dedicated server, twin quad core Xenon, 24GB Ram and 292GB of 15K SAS storage.

The list price is around £600pm including 24/7 VIP support and its a managed server too, so no having to install updates yourself.

I managed to get them a bit below the list price, but we're currently with Heart Internet and their support is pathetic.

Depends where you are though, obviously UKFast is great if you're in the UK...

I've just got a new server at UKFast, www.ukfast.com - take a look at their Enterprise dedicated server, twin quad core Xenon, 24GB Ram and 292GB of 15K SAS storage.

The list price is around £600pm including 24/7 VIP support and its a managed server too, so no having to install updates yourself.

I managed to get them a bit below the list price, but we're currently with Heart Internet and their support is pathetic.

For that spec of server it would be cheaper to build your own and put it in a decent colo center.

I know of a reasonably priced managed dedi-host, but the site is under construction... But here are the rough specs, Xeon X3460 Quad, 4GB RAM, 1TB Disk, 10Mbps Connection w/ 3TB BW, 5 IPs. I am not sure about what your paying for yours but this one costs like 165/mo.

For that spec of server it would be cheaper to build your own and put it in a decent colo center.
Doesn't cover the managed aspect of the server, that's what you're paying for really. If all I wanted was a server in a colo center, then I'd have stuck with the previous host.

Doesn't cover the managed aspect of the server, that's what you're paying for really. If all I wanted was a server in a colo center, then I'd have stuck with the previous host.

Still seems like your paying over the odds for an average specced server, maybe thats what "management" costs... but that just seems like a total rip off!

Each to their own :)

Personally, I don't call "2 quad core Xenon, 24GB Ram and 292GB of 15K SAS storage" an average specced server :)

165/mo? USD? EUR? NZD? AUD? .....
USD

No cPanel at that price though that would be like + 20/mo.

The idea that where your traffic is, is where your server should be is not really all that big of a factor anymore, on all my shared servers we use CloudFlare and setting it up on a dedicated would not be that hard, it takes like 5 minutes max and then you can just sit back and let CloudFlare do the rest for you as far as Content Delivery goes.

The idea that where your traffic is, is where your server should be is not really all that big of a factor anymore, on all my shared servers we use CloudFlare and setting it up on a dedicated would not be that hard, it takes like 5 minutes max and then you can just sit back and let CloudFlare do the rest for you as far as Content Delivery goes.

Fair point, but the main jist behind my comment was the monetary aspect.

1) where are you located (country)
2) from wich country your users are coming from mostly?

if your current server is also a manged server then just ask them to fix the problems.

I am in the USA.

I want a greater degree of service than they provide. The only contact is via e-mail and someone is not always available.

I am not really worried about the cost. I am looking for reliable and great customer service. To me it is worth paying a premium price for premium service.

softlayer.com is the premium webhosting (around over 70 000 customers) that offers exellent customer service including tons of their own APIS allowing you to control your server much easier, like getting txt msg to your phone that your server is down etc. Thety also have their own control panel which is about the same as directadmin control panel. so it has features to change your dns etc. i tink they own about 5 datacenters one in DC, one in seattle, 3 in texas. They plan to opening new datacenter in singapore and in netherland

Top Bottom