"Deactivated User"

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
We have users who no longer wish their account to be active, however, for the protection of both users and our site, we have a 0 deletion policy of accounts unless under extreme circumstances.

It would be nice to offer users a way to "deactivate their account" rendering anyone except admins able to do anything with it and basically locking it (as if it were deleted, so no emails, nobody can browse the profile, the user can't log in etc etc) , and if they want it back they would have to contact an admin to have it made available again.

Whilst I don't agree a user self delete would be a good idea (due to the potential for abuse) user de-activation would be a nice middle ground.

Upvote 52
+1
I've used few plugins for self deletion, but users are not fools. Very soon they understand, that account deletion means deletion of warns and IP history. So they could do anything and then return as newbie. Now we implement this function with custom field (checkbox) + group promotions. It deactivate account within 30 minutes, so when users want to undone, they need to contact to admin. That's uncomfortably for borth. I think that the most right way contains these steps:
  1. User click DELETE and confirm his decision with pass or e-mail.
  2. Then he has 3 (editable) days to change his mind. During this time:
    1. User couldn't reply in public and privat threads;
    2. User get notice about his decision;
    3. Users who want to get the conversation with him get an error (editable).
  3. After countdown is end:
    1. User will be ban and get specific title (editable);
    2. Some personal information (conversation list, avatar, signature, profile post, about me) will fully delete (conversation is just leaving); post is fully leave on their places;
    3. Fully unsubscribe from all notices and subscription.
    4. User will receive an email with link for unbanning; if he click on the link, countdown will begin and account will activate by the end of 3rd (editable) day if he do not undone this.
Ideally to give opportunity to deactivate (leave all information in database) and delete (delete some information except public post, and leave minimal information — id, IPs, email).

Most commonly our users use self-banning when we change terms of use, or users feel aggrieved after warn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom