XF 1.3 Database Error Email Notification

i_n_k

I noticed that unlike the vBulletin forum I migrated from, the config.php file from Xenforo doesn't seem to allow the ability to receive email notifications if there's a database error. Is this the case, or am I just potentially missing being able to add that setting?

Correct. XF doesn't have that config option. But XF logs those errors:

Admin CP -> Tools -> Server Error Log
I've seen that. My problem is occasionally I'll have an issue where the database server isn't functioning properly and I used to get an e-mail notification via that config file with vBulletin that would notify me immediately. Today I was out for a few hours and didn't find out until long after I had returned that it was down.

Is it possible to add a line of code to that to get it to email me if there's a connection issue? Sadly I relied on that in case disaster struck, and today was a good example of why I definitely missed that. Otherwise love the software and really happy with things overall :cool:

It would require custom development/an add-on.

How often does your site go down that you need to rely on such functionality?
I can count on the fingers of, well, one finger how many times my site has gone down in the past few years.

You could always try one of those services which monitors your site and emails/messages you when there is an issue.

You could always try one of those services which monitors your site and emails/messages you when there is an issue.
Or he could get @Chris D's Pushover alerts, enable the options and receive alerts directly to his phone that way - of course the add-on is a paid one, and the app to receive the alerts is also a paid one. It's nice getting push alerts about any server log errors though.

It would require custom development/an add-on.

How often does your site go down that you need to rely on such functionality?
I can count on the fingers of, well, one finger how many times my site has gone down in the past few years.

Then you're a lucky guy ;) I liked the simplicity of at least having my email go off if there was an issue. Didn't realize until yesterday how important that was.

Or he could get @Chris D's Pushover alerts, enable the options and receive alerts directly to his phone that way - of course the add-on is a paid one, and the app to receive the alerts is also a paid one. It's nice getting push alerts about any server log errors though.

That sounds like potentially a good solution. What's the link to his add-on?

Top Bottom