DashCam Vidz

Ernest L. Defoe

Dash cams have become a big thing as of late especially in my line of work as a professional commercial truck driver and I know quite a few people that like to watch dash cam videos. So a thought occurred to me on a new forum to start. Keep in mind I am just now getting things set up and have a ways to go and a few addons to get and install but the basics are there. So I would like to invite everyone to come and check out my new site DashCam Vidz and let me know what you think. I am still working on it but I would love so feedback on what you would like to see or ways that I can improve. The videos that are posted are found on YouTube and eventually I will add videos that I have recorded on my dash cam. So come check it out and let me know what you think.

This has the potential to be a comical site.

I recently got on the kick of viewing YouTube videos like this (well, recording of cops on duty and their behaviors) and actually wanted to find a place to discuss some of it without having to reply in the YouTube discussion area (too many tools replying in those areas). Looks good thus far. Cannot comment much on the theme as of yet, will see what else is added.

Good luck Ernest, this should be fun.

This has the potential to be a comical site.

I recently got on the kick of viewing YouTube videos like this (well, recording of cops on duty and their behaviors) and actually wanted to find a place to discuss some of it without having to reply in the YouTube discussion area (too many tools replying in those areas). Looks good thus far. Cannot comment much on the theme as of yet, will see what else is added.

Good luck Ernest, this should be fun.

That's what I am hoping. It be a fun site people can come and post videos and comment and such. I know I haven't seen any forums as of yet for dash cam videos and figured why not be one of the first.

I'll mention this in our Travel section. We have a lot of people interested in alternatives to air travel & being harassed & assaulted by TSA. Most take trains (Amtrak), some drive.

Language could be a barrier, but you might get a lot of interesting videos from Russia, where many driver try to protect themselves from unscrupulous sorts on the roads by always having a DashCam recording.

(well, recording of cops on duty and their behaviors) and actually wanted to find a place to discuss some of it without having to reply in the YouTube discussion area (too many tools replying in those areas).

A lot of them end up (and you're welcome to add to them but please note that some minimal info is requested with each post in that area) here:

My input queue of police videos on an RSS feed from YouTube is now at almost 600 vids:

I had the queue down to zero over the 4th of July weekend but ...

There is also our Checkpoint Forums site (now on 1.2.0 Beta 5 + XenTag), which has a very specialized focus on police checkpoints in the U.S.

A major problem in YouTube is that lots of folks "steal" other people's videos and re-upload them in their own channels to try to snarf the views & ad revenue. Personally, I have a real issue posting pirated stuff. I like for the original writer or photographer to get the credit, and it can be a real hassle to sort through all the clones and find the originals.

I'll mention this in our Travel section. We have a lot of people interested in alternatives to air travel & being harassed & assaulted by TSA. Most take trains (Amtrak), some drive.

Language could be a barrier, but you might get a lot of interesting videos from Russia, where many driver try to protect themselves from unscrupulous sorts on the roads by always having a DashCam recording.

A major problem in YouTube is that lots of folks "steal" other people's videos and re-upload them in their own channels to try to snarf the views & ad revenue. Personally, I have a real issue posting pirated stuff. I like for the original writer or photographer to get the credit, and it can be a real hassle to sort through all the clones and find the originals.

I appreciate that @MikeMpls. We will try to fumble through with any language barriers. This site is for enjoyment/conversation purposes only. That means I am not going to be trying to make money off of it. The reason for posting YouTube videos and links from external sites is mainly due to resources. If the site really catches on then of course a bigger hosting package will be ordered to allow videos to be posted directly to the site.

bigger hosting package will be ordered to allow videos to be posted directly to the site.

Direct hosting of videos can result in mega-bills for bandwidth. I've heard of some cases where videos gone viral have resulted in bandwidth bills in the 4 & 5 digits, often without the hoster being aware of what was happening (others linked to the vidoes) until he got the bill.

I'm a really big fan of letting YouTube (and to a lesser extent, LiveLeak & Vimeo) foot those bills. :D

Direct hosting of videos can result in mega-bills for bandwidth. I've heard of some cases where videos gone viral have resulted in bandwidth bills in the 4 & 5 digits, often without the hoster being aware of what was happening (others linked to the vidoes) until he got the bill.

I'm a really big fan of letting YouTube (and to a lesser extent, LiveLeak & Vimeo) foot those bills. :D

Oh I totally agree with letting them foot the bills for bandwidth.

Another excellent looking theme by the @Qwk86gn & @Russ good choice with this since the colours look really good together as do the customisations in the style. Logo is looking good Ernest nice job with this also.

One suggestion though. The reflection text for the logo is sharply cut off you really want to have that gradually fading from the bottom part rather than it being sharply cut off. otherwise great work on the site. :thumbsup:

Another excellent looking theme by the @Qwk86gn & @Russ good choice with this since the colours look really good together as do the customisations in the style. Logo is looking good Ernest nice job with this also.

One suggestion though. The reflection text for the logo is sharply cut off you really want to have that gradually fading from the bottom part rather than it being sharply cut off. otherwise great work on the site. (y)

Well it's been a very very very long time since I have tried something like that in PS and what I was seeing on my computer wasn't matching what I was seeing on the site for some reason. I think I have it looking better now so let me know what you think. There are more style customization's coming just waiting till @Russ has the time to get around to them. I think it will look really sweet once he is done with what I am wanting him to do.

It's still not looking right. I think what you've done is just dragged the black gradient over the text?

What you'll have to do (sorry if this gets a bit technical) you'll have to mask the layer you want to fade and then select a black >>>transparent gradient and drag it across the masking to get the gradual effect.

@Shelley I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have followed every tutorial I have read word for word and it still doesn't come out looking right. Would you mind taking a stab at it? Heck even @Sheldon if you want......I just can't seem to get it right. Going for a similar effect as to what @Sheldon has on his MyRockNation logo.

Attachments

@Shelley I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have followed every tutorial I have read word for word and it still doesn't come out looking right. Would you mind taking a stab at it? Heck even @Sheldon if you want......I just can't seem to get it right. Going for a similar effect as to what @Sheldon has on his MyRockNation logo.

Something like the following.

logo.webp logo1.webp

Attachments

Top Bottom