Darker style?

Gladius

Any chance we could get a style here that wouldn't have this intense white background? I've been reading posts here for a few hours and my eyes are really hurting... and I'm probably not the only one here who prefers darker styles for less eye strain...

I love it that people have an alternative solution to every simple request here but, no, I don't want to install another FF plugin just to have a different style here. It'd take about a minute to add a style with a darker background and more people than just me would benefit from it, so it's not really much of a request. We've all got our own colour preferences and I hope it's common knowledge enough that many find reading black on pure white on a monitor hard on the eyes. If you don't, good for you. Some of us are not so lucky.

I love it that people have an alternative solution to every simple request here but, no, I don't want to install another FF plugin just to have a different style here. It'd take about a minute to add a style with a darker background and more people than just me would benefit from it, so it's not really much of a request. We've all got our own colour preferences and I hope it's common knowledge enough that many find reading black on pure white on a monitor hard on the eyes. If you don't, good for you. Some of us are not so lucky.
Just changing the background wouldn't solve your problem.

Sure it would, given that the blinding white is the only real problem. Even just changing it to light grey would probably be fine.

Sure it would, given that the blinding white is the only real problem. Even just changing it to light grey would probably be fine.
Black.webp

The white part of the message would change as well, but you should be able to see that there is much more that would need to be done than changing the background to black.

Try reducing the brightness of your monitor. Right now I'm using minimum brightness.

My brightness is just fine for every other site I use... except xenforo.com.

View attachment 41764

The white part of the message would change as well, but you should be able to see that there is much more that would need to be done than changing the background to black.

When I said background I obviously meant wherever pure white is used as the background. Yes, there are a few other areas like post boxes and the editor field that would need their colour changed. I've done a lot of XF style editing and I know it's really not that big a deal as you're making it out to be. Especially for someone like the staff here who know all the area names by heart and don't need to look them up like me.

My brightness if just fine for every other site I use... except xenforo.com.

When I said background I obviously meant wherever pure white is used as the background. Yes, there are a few other areas like post boxes and the editor field that would need their colour changed. I've done a lot of XF style editing and I know it's really not that big a deal as you're making it out to be. Especially for someone like the staff here who know all the area names by heart and don't need to look them up like me.

without getting into the technical details, there is vast amounts of work needing to be done to xenforo for a dark style it's not a simple colour change here or there. Gradients need re-worked, editor needs to be re-styled and the sprites on the editor need totally replacing since there's matting issue that arise on dark styles with the current icons plus theey are spanned accross the ui sprite and some are standalone imagery. The list is endless, and since styles are used here to showcase it's a time consuming task that shouldn't be done by simple colour changes here or there.

Best bet is to wait for a staff member or one of the developers to venture into this thread and see what they say. If they choose not to apply a dark style it might be wise taking the advice of others and trying other methods. perhaps a screen filter or using an app that will revert or change the colouring so it's a little less bright as a make do solution for now.

Eh, no. It doesn't need to be BLACK. Even a darker shade of white (like the top strip of the editor uses) would probably be usable and you wouldn't need to change most (if any) of the extra stuff you're listing.

Eh, no. It doesn't need to be BLACK. Even a darker shade of white (like the top strip of the editor uses) would probably be usable and you wouldn't need to change most (if any) of the extra stuff you're listing.

Ah I see. Sorry I didn't realize I thought you meant a dark style as in the really dark colours. I'm quite sure then the devs will take this into account, and come up with something. Best waiting to see what either they say or one of the staff members say. The best we can possibly do is just offer up alternatives and suggestions but only staff or devs can really help on this matter.

Top Bottom