Dark Mode Style Options

Alfuzzy

Anyone know of/recommend a Dark Mode style that's available and modify's the colors of the stock XF style? I would like to offer a Dark Mode Style for my site visitors...site style is mostly based on the stock XF style.

Free would be nice...but low cost is doable too.

Dragonfruit

Here's the one I used. It's free, and dark. I can tell you the colorizing on it isn't perfect, there's definitely some recolors you should do to make it better and readable. But it's basically what I needed. A dark version of the default to work with. Much easier than recoloring the default light one.

Alfuzzy

Thanks very much for the recommendation. Yes...looks like a great starting point (lots of "darkness")...I'd want to add some color highlights that matches my sites color theme to give it a bit more "pop"/diversity.

Basically looking for something that takes most of the white backgrounds of the stock style...and makes them "dark"...and makes the text white against the dark background (or a color that's readable against the dark background).

Just curious...does anyone know how does a style like this works? Does it:

• Modify the stock XF templates (I think this one said it doesn't)?
  • Does it add code to the extra.less template for the "Dark Mode" style you create?
  • Some other way?

Thanks

Alfuzzy

Did some searching...and came this one. Any thoughts/opinions?:

Thanks

Dragonfruit

If you're looking for something that matches exactly as the stock light one, then I'd go with the one I already recommended. It's just re-colorized to be dark, and should not have any code changes. I recall thinking the same thing and verified it first.

Because I worked on heavily customizing light & dark styles for my board, and I wanted everything to be identical except the color styles.

For consistency sake, it's either that or what @Matthew S suggested - because you're buying a set, so the code is identical.

Alfuzzy

If you're looking for something that matches exactly as the stock light one, then I'd go with the one I already recommended. It's just re-colorized to be dark, and should not have any code changes. I recall thinking the same thing and verified it first.

Because I worked on heavily customizing light & dark styles for my board, and I wanted everything to be identical except the color styles.
Good deal...that is what I'm looking for. Thanks again.:)

l3ta

l3ta

Alfuzzy

Thanks for the help so far. This will be my first time downloading & installing a style. I saw in one of the styles recommended above the following install instructions:

Installation Instructions: While in the Admin CP, select:
Appearance > Styles > Import > Child of style: (No Parent) > and then click "Import"

* Is this pretty much the standard way to import a style (single .xml file)...and it won't overwrite any existing styles?

* Also...if I have a parent style that I've created (basically different colors of the XF stock style)...with my website logo, advertisements, and different node icons.

Should I import one of the dark styles as a "child style" of this parent style that my site is currently using...since what I want is a dark style version of the parent style I created & using now?

* If I decide that I don't like a dark style that I installed...is it as easy as Appearance > Styles > Click Trash Can...and "Poof" it's gone?

Thanks

Dragonfruit

You can also just disable it, don't have to delete it. If there's any work you've done on it, you can reference back to it later.