Dan Wheldon

Oblivion Knight

This young British IndyCar driver sadly lost his life in the Las Vegas Indy 300 race last night, after suffering "unsurvivable injuries" in a 15-car crash.

Whilst I'm not personally a follower of that particular series, I am a great fan of Formula One, and Dan was quite well known amongst British fans. Any kind of fatality in motorsport is incredibly sad, and certainly puts racing into perspective when these drivers are living on the edge.

RIP (Full News - Be warned; Contains images and footage of the incident)

We've been talking about it on my site.

R.I.P. Dan but it was a needless death as he shouldn't have even been there.
He was only participating due to the ridiculous and pointless challenge of starting from the back to try and win $5 million for winning.

Hopefully this will make the organisers realise that motorsport is deadly and not a game.

We've been talking about it on my site.

R.I.P. Dan but it was a needless death as he shouldn't have even been there.
He was only participating due to the ridiculous and pointless challenge of starting from the back to try and win $5 million.

Hopefully this will make the organisers realise that motorsport is deadly and not a game.
From the footage I couldn't make out which car actually triggered it, I think of them caught the rear of the car in front with its front wing, perhaps puncturing the tyre, that car appeared to them slow & collect another which then started the chain of events.

Unless it was triggered by Dan trying to make an unsafe pass, I can't see what its got to do with the $5m prize, its more of a case of wrong place, wrong time.

From the footage I couldn't make out which car actually triggered it, I think of them caught the rear of the car in front with its front wing, perhaps puncturing the tyre, that car appeared to them slow & collect another which then started the chain of events.

Unless it was triggered by Dan trying to make an unsafe pass, I can't see what its got to do with the $5m prize, its more of a case of wrong place, wrong time.
Didn't look like unsafe pass, cars in front of him basically prevented him to escape from the situation they were in.

They shouldn't have even been racing Indy cars on that track let alone that many of them. It is a shame someone had to loose their life for the dimwits lining their pockets with money because they felt their needed to be more entertainment. Indy cars belong on a road coarse and not a high speed oval.

RIP Dan.

They shouldn't have even been racing Indy cars on that track let alone that many of them. It is a shame someone had to loose their life for the dimwits lining their pockets with money because they felt their needed to be more entertainment. Indy cars belong on a road coarse and not a high speed oval.

RIP Dan.
Or at least an oval that's made for them not a multi purpose track.

Top Bottom