[cXF] Thread snippet

[cXF] Thread snippet [Paid] 1.1.4

No permission to buy (€18.00)
I like this concept - one suggestion, though it's likely too big to easily implement... make it so the user can disable it if they don't want to see them? Maybe in preferences. The reason being is that some forum purists who use our site won't want this but many will enjoy it. I would love to appease both groups.

Also, is it possible to enable it for some places but not others? Like widgets but not the main thread list?
Hey @BassMan, just checking to see if you had a chance to look into how possible this might be.

Thanks!

I like this concept - one suggestion, though it's likely too big to easily implement... make it so the user can disable it if they don't want to see them? Maybe in preferences. The reason being is that some forum purists who use our site won't want this but many will enjoy it. I would love to appease both groups.
I've checked, but currently I will not implement this.

Also, is it possible to enable it for some places but not others? Like widgets but not the main thread list?
This is already possible. Check the options page for this add-on.

A couple suggestions, outside of making it possible for users to disable it if they wanted, which I still think would be very powerful...

1. Set it up so admins could make the snippet longer than the XF default (I still wish I knew how to change that in XF), and for those posts that go longer than the snippet, have a "Read More..." link that expands the full post inline, so the user doesn't have to click into it to go to the post.

2. Add in the engagement features (Like, Comment, Share, Report) below the snippets (assuming the full post can be shown) so that others can interact with each post without having to click into the thread to do it.

I know those are complex features to add, but I'd pay more for this add-on if they were included. Not sure I'll use it without those, as the snippets are nice, but if others can't engage with the content right there, it's almost pointless to show the snippet. In fact, it could actually be detrimental, as members might get in the habit of doing more skimming without clicking in to the thread to engage with the content. And if fewer people engage with the content that gets posted, it will end up deterring people from posting content (I hear all the time about how people tend to post more on FB because they get more replies and likes than if they post in a forum). Only my opinion of course, but if you think about what drives people to post on FB and IG, it's largely because other people react to their content. And if people can read the content inline, they will naturally expect to be able to react to it/engage with it right then and there too.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Not sure if I'll add something like this, because this is a forum structure. I like the "forum feeling" and I don't like those social media formats too much.

Anyway, currently, I will not change how snippet works, otherwise it will not be a snippet any more. Also, there are other benefits to click on a thread.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Not sure if I'll add something like this, because this is a forum structure. I like the "forum feeling" and I don't like those social media formats too much.

Anyway, currently, I will not change how snippet works, otherwise it will not be a snippet any more. Also, there are other benefits to click on a thread.
I like the forum feeling too, and I know that there are more benefits to clicking on the thread, but I'm finding that the more time the masses spend on social platforms, the more they get used to the user experience of those platforms and start to get confused by forum structures - sounds silly, but that's the reality. I find I have to explain how forums work to new members more and more. Hell, I sometimes have to explain it to members who have been on the site for years but haven't been as active as they are on FB. It's crazy to someone like me who has been around forums for 2 decades, but then again, I don't really represent the next generation of members who I'm going to have to attract to the forum to keep it going.

I think your add-on has a lot of potential to bridge that gap. But that's why I brought up making a setting for the users to enable/disable, as not all of the forum's "purist" members would want it. Many of the next generation of users who use social media regularly will probably appreciate it. But it's a big project.

Thanks for at least giving the suggestions some thought. I might reach out to a developer to build out what I described.

@BassMan what would make me buy this is if there was an option to disable it in certain nodes, sometimes I have nodes that are empty by design other than 1 thread explaning how posts in the child nodes should be formatted/created, it'd be nice to not have the message show in those specific nodes.

What do you think about a build-in regex?
In my case i would like to get rid of my headlines for example.

Top Bottom