XF 2.2 Customization request - separate article from the actual forum

scskmg

I want to separate the articles (guest articles or own) from the actual discussion part (forums) and build them up in an own menu structure. As an example I found here a page (link), which reflects my ideas.

Unfortunately, I am "in front of the mountain" and do not quite manage the ascent. How far I have prepared, see attachment. Thank you very much for your valuable help. For info : I lack - yet - the necessary PHP knowledge, should they be required and the portal is hosted at xf (cloud solution).

Hope I didn't articulate myself too awkwardly.

Best regards

Michael

Attachments

• sup_extensions_magazine_06092022_01.webp
    sup_extensions_magazine_06092022_01.webp
    60 KB · Views: 18
  • sup_extensions_magazine_06092022_02.webp
    sup_extensions_magazine_06092022_02.webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 18
  • sup_extensions_magazine_06092022_example.webp
    sup_extensions_magazine_06092022_example.webp
    157.9 KB · Views: 18
I want to separate the articles (guest articles or own) from the actual discussion part (forums) and build them up in an own menu structure. As an example I found here a page (link), which reflects my ideas.

Unfortunately, I am "in front of the mountain" and do not quite manage the ascent. How far I have prepared, see attachment. Thank you very much for your valuable help. For info : I lack - yet - the necessary PHP knowledge, should they be required and the portal is hosted at xf (cloud solution).

Hope I didn't articulate myself too awkwardly.

Best regards

Michael
Have a look at the Blogs & Articles item on my site. The forums do still appear in my forum list, too, but could be hidden. Not sure if it is quite what you are after, but it is all done out of box using Public Navigation and some Node settings (there's a couple template edits, too, but that's in the formatting of the article preview, not the navigation). I am adding a third article forum to it but that's only visible in my dev right now.

That said, AMS definitely adds a raft more features if articles are going to be a big part of your site. I tested it out as part of a business proposal I wrote for a new site (fiction and literary non-fiction publishing) last year.

Hallo, ich weiß nicht, ob Sie dies selbst tun möchten, aber in meinem Fall (der von Ihnen bereitgestellte Link) verwende ich Bobs AMS-Add-On.

Hello, i don't know if you want to do this by your own but in my case (the link you provided) i use Bob's AMS add-on.
sorry, the dog was at the keyboard - thanks for the tip I will of course follow up this address.

Bob's AMS add-on
Hi, thanks again for your timely suggestion last Tuesday. However, must note that I am anything but positive about the cooperation on the part of "Bob". I will probably have to look for a constructive alternative for my desired customization via the FIVERR platform, as it will obviously be very difficult in the XF environment.

I do not want to be understood as an impatient person, however to solve a user license at ADOBE is clearly faster possible ;)

Hi, thanks again for your timely suggestion last Tuesday. However, must note that I am anything but positive about the cooperation on the part of "Bob".
I've never had any issue with getting feedback from him... but you DO have to realize.. coding the add-ons is not his full-time job.

Now, if you are wanting custom coding from him... don't think he's really into that, so you probably will need to pursue an outside developer. AMS is fairly powerful and a lot can be done with it.. but it may not be what you want.
I'm doing a bare-bones minimal with it now... you can see an example at the link in my signature... the few articles that have been posted are available for guests to view so no registration is required.

These are the default views you can use in the AMS landing page. If you check the RPi article.. you will see it consists of multiple pages... each done at separate times along the build process. You can also create "series" of articles.

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.10.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.11.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.11.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 7.12.00 PM.png

Last edited:
AMS landing page
Hi, i'm not trying to put Bob in a bad light, nor do I expect him to do any project work. Just - want - to be able to log in (validate) to his account and download the addon licenses I want. Besides, I also have another job and the project is going on the side. Nevertheless I would like to be able to finish the project one day and so I am close to the goal - only the said addon (article and link's) is missing ;)

Bob is informed that there is a problem with the registration and had shown me the way to solve it and would take care of it immediately after receiving the information. He had received the requested information directly on Wednesday morning (CET). I could not read anything from him until late evening hours (CET).

Needed only a validated access - nothing more. Think he could certainly do that for me in between a few minutes.
;)

In the meantime my mind has calmed down a bit and in hope for a happy end best regards from the alpine republic

Michael

@Bob

Needed only a validated access - nothing more. Think he could certainly do that for me in between a few minutes.
Again...not everybody sits at their computer all day....
If you are talking about inputting an XF validation token and getting it verified... he may have had an issue with the process he uses and was working on fixing it.
I have found one thing important in life... patience IS a virtue. Not everybody may work on your expected schedule of "speed" for doing things... as they may have different things going on. If it was for 4-5 days and I was having issues.. then yes, I might wonder... but if even upwards of 72 hours (think weekends) then it's not that big of a deal - I've entered tickets here with XF on a Friday evening, realizing not to expect them to be responded to before Monday... and have seen the XF support staff posting on the forum during that time but don't get upset when my ticket has not been responded to.

Top Bottom