Custom Thread Field only for threadtype: Article

Huh? Why take away certain fields for admins to choose from? The admin can decide what fields are used for what thread types.

I didn't understand the suggestion. I thought he meant admins only see certain ones that XF decides are good for each thread type.

This would be good for the mixed thread-type nodes yes. For admins to set dedicated fields per type! I agree!

It would seem if you plan an article forum with the review field you could only do it in a dedicated article node and you'd have to wait for XF to implement this for mixed, so I definitely agree. It is needed.

Last edited:
I never wrote Admin.

I want to add a custom thread field to a forum, and a special-thread-type.

If you have articles and discussions inside one forum, I only want to have the field allowed for articles.

Self-placement would be best as it suits every need. You could edit a custom placement field into article threads and do so much more with them. Still upvoted as it's 1 step closer to getting to custom placement.

It would be very helpful to bind Custom Thead fields to a specific Thread Type.

For instance: Only alloe the ranking with stars to articles.
Can you explain a use for this?

I can imagine if you use article threads for reviews, somebody writing a review may well want to add a star rating for the product they are reviewing, but in that case you would probably use a dedicated article forum, not a mixed thread type forum. And as thread fields are tied to specific forums then you would just tie the star rating to your review forums.

This is partly based on the fact I can't think of any reaons apart from a review that you would want a star rating. I'm happy to be told otherwise!

He is just using reviews an an example. You could have a mixed-type of Discussion and Question and only Questions have text fields for extra info, etc. Many variables here.

Yes please! I would like to add a 'Canonical URL' custom field to articles only. There doesn't even seem to be a class wrapper around this area saying what article type is selected so I can hide fields with CSS.

Top Bottom