Duplicate Custom Image Proxy URL

md_5

The image proxy is great and all, but it presents a few issues, namely:
  • Inflexible caching
  • Hard to move away to another server since it requires a full XenForo install and MySQL write access.
  • Constantly changing cache files can be slightly annoying for backups if not properly excluded.

Since the hashing scheme for proxied URLs is well documented, it is easy to replace proxy.php with another image proxy such as Camo+Varnish, however it is impossible to make this new location actually used without core edits.

I believe the solution to this is to add a new option to allow customization of the image proxy URL, much like the data, template and javascript outputs.
Such an option would default to: proxy.php?url=$url&hash=$hash, or whatever the syntax is, however other settings such as:
://my.cookieless.domain/proxy.php?url=$url&hash=$hash or
://camo.my.domain/$url/$hash would also be acceptable.

Thanks

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Let me see if I interpreted your suggestion right.

You would like the ability to host the proxied images on another server so that if you wanted to switch hosting you wouldn't have to move the files, just move your install/DB...right?

Let me see if I interpreted your suggestion right.

You would like the ability to host the proxied images on another server so that if you wanted to switch hosting you wouldn't have to move the files, just move your install/DB...right?
One use case is so that your server IP isn't exposed when requesting images, another use case is so that the database and storage aren't clogged with logs / caching, an additional use case is to use a superior image proxy,

Top Bottom