Custom Field Sorting: Drag n Drop / Alphabetical

Alpha1

When you add custom fields with a lot of choices, its important to order the choices so that members can easily find the option they need.
I set field choices up alphabetical to make it easy for members.
But if you want to add field choices later then it is not possible to reorder them. You can also not move choices to a different field, because that will mess with existing values. So then you can only add choices at the end which becomes chaotic. The result is that members cant find the choices they want to select.

Please add field choice sorting to prevent disorder.

I would like to suggest two sorting solutions:
  1. Drag n Drop
  2. Alphabetical Sorting

This is not only important for XF custom fields, but also for addons. Pretty much all major addons have various custom fields.
Some of my fields have dozens of choices. I hope you can imagine why this would be very useful to have.

Upvote 29
Hi guys,

It will be really handy if in the custom fields for dropdown menu's we can sort them. Right now I am putting in a dropdown selection list and it would be really handy when selecting an option from the menu if it were listed in alphabetical order. To do this right now you need to do it from the admin panel, but if you have 20 entries and need to add one to the second row all of them need to be shifted.

Thanks.

As you add more choices to a custom field, the more of a mess it can become.
A good example here of how it confuses people: https://theadminzone.com/threads/time-to-add-additional-options-to-board-software-section.146464/
People think the needed field choice does not exist because newer field choices are added to the end of the list.

I see similar problems with addons that use XF's custom fields functionality.

Please add a function to order custom field choices. For example a function to order field choices alphabetically. Or to order by drag n drop.

When you add custom fields with a lot of choices, its important to order the choices so that members can easily find the option they need.
I set field choices up alphabetical to make it easy for members.
But if you want to add field choices later then it is not possible to reorder them. You can also not move choices to a different field, because that will mess with existing values. So then you can only add choices at the end which becomes chaotic. The result is that members cant find the choices they want to select.

Please add field choice sorting to prevent disorder.

I would like to suggest two sorting solutions:
  1. Drag n Drop
  2. Alphabetical Sorting

This is not only important for XF custom fields, but also for addons. Pretty much all major addons have various custom fields.
Some of my fields have dozens of choices. I hope you can imagine why this would be very useful to have.

Agreed. For the time being I am using this addon - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/sort-field-options-for-xenforo-2-x.6257/

Thank you for partially implementing this. Drag n Drop sorting will make managing custom fields easier. I hope alphabetical sorting will also come. Some of my fields have a very large number of choice options.

Top Bottom