Curious... why strip EXIF from attachments but embrace it in the gallery?

Author and copyright tags, for instance, that someone may want to keep in their images.
(I know, I know this is an old post....)

And for a photography based forum members want the EXIF preserved to share their gear settings when they upload images in the forums. I ended up creating a bespoke solution to grab the EXIF during the upload, minus the GPS, to display below attachments. Works nice.

I would guess that most sites aren't photography-oriented, and in that case, privacy might be more important.

I don't understand why this isn't a simple option. But then again, there are so many things about this software that just don't make any sense, it's not surprising.

I would guess that most sites aren't photography-oriented, and in that case, privacy might be more important
Yep, which is why a simple option would satisfy both use cases... by default strip EXIF but let it be an option for us sites that are photography oriented. 👍

I don't understand why this isn't a simple option. But then again, there are so many things about this software that just don't make any sense, it's not surprising.
Oooh, don't get me started on that one. 😁

You and I could probably spend an entire day and use up a ream of paper if I did. Oh, and we'd need at least a 12-pack of decent beer!

Last edited:
Old topic, but why shouldn't all data be removed? It's a photo in a forum. Me, I'd be happy just to be able to turn of the Metadata display option.
And a dated reply... but for some instances (as an example my astrophotography forum) some data is beneficial, like date/time/camera/settings and such.

Frankly, if your forum is photography oriented, it would be a shame to do without XFMG.
Besides, if XFMG didn't exist, you'd be complaining about it...

A forum is a forum, if your users are budding photographers then use XFMG!

Frankly, if your forum is photography oriented, it would be a shame to do without XFMG.
Besides, if XFMG didn't exist, you'd be complaining about it..
Not everybody posts their images into XFMG. I use the ability to mirror the images out of my Beginnger/Experienced astrophotography forum areas for images posted there.
to this
Hell, I'd LOVE for the XFMG to import the custom fields that they users submit in their posts into that mirrored gallery also... but I doubt that will happen without requesting a bespoke add-on.
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 10.06.51 AM.png

It depends upon the forum. In a photography-oriented forum, it makes sense. In another where people just put their stuff up for fun, it doesn't. One should be able to turn it on or off, and dare I suggest, even be able to pick and choose.

Last edited:
It depends upon the forum. In a photography-oriented forum, it makes sense. In another where people just put their stuff up for fun, it doesn't. One should be able to turn it on or off, and dare I suggest, even be able to pick and choose.
Have NO issues what that position... but simply stripping to strip them is not an "option". 👁️
In fact, I'd go so far to narrow it to even allow the data forum node by forum node. For certain areas you may WANT that info.. in others, not.
Ultimately it is down to the user to sanitize their uploaded data in my opinion.

Not everybody posts their images into XFMG. I use the ability to mirror the images out of my Beginnger/Experienced astrophotography forum areas for images posted there.
to this
Hell, I'd LOVE for the XFMG to import the custom fields that they users submit in their posts into that mirrored gallery also... but I doubt that will happen without requesting a bespoke add-on.
View attachment 283177
(Off topic.... well, sort of related but not directly...)

Interesting seeing what additional values you're capturing for astrophotography versus the usual EXIF.

For the forums, we're displaying the basics below each embedded attachment (that has EXIF) and then clicking on the 'info' icon brings up a modal pop-up with the full EXIF (minus a few sections like GPS). Now you've got me itchin' to dig into EXIF again. 😆
1679434855489.webp

1679434911767.webp
1679434926684.webp

Interesting seeing what additional values you're capturing for astrophotography versus the usual EXIF.
Primarily (if the Astro software supports it) the binning information, the telescope focal length, the RA/DEC positions and a few other items that are in the FITS/XISF master capture images.

(Off topic.... well, sort of related but not directly...)

For the forums, we're displaying the basics below each embedded attachment (that has EXIF) and then clicking on the 'info' icon brings up a modal pop-up with the full EXIF (minus a few sections like GPS). Now you've got me itchin' to dig into EXIF again. 😆
View attachment 283314

View attachment 283315
View attachment 283316

I need exactly this in my forum. How do you do this?

Where can I buy it?
Most likely you can't.. that's what bespoke means. Made for one person. Generally those aren't available for purchase unless the original requestor (and person who paid for it) grants such license to the developer or it's stated in the contract that they could sell it on the open market.

Top Bottom