1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Creating clean backup, after creating test user/post

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by octabrain, May 13, 2016.

1. octabrain

octabrain Member

Hi there,
    I'm in the process of moving an existing forum from another software to Xenforo.

Unfortunately the first thing I did after installing Xenforo was creating a test user and posting a topic on the forum, didn't think much about it and went on to install addons and do all sorts of customizations.
    So now I only got a backup of the database that already contains a topic and a user.

Is there a way to clean that up, so that I can import while retaining IDs from the old forum?

2. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Just import and tick keep original id's during the process which is very very slick.

I've done the same as you from vb3 and from vb4

(2 forums)

3. octabrain

octabrain Member

Thanks for the answer. But does that work if I have a topic already in there? In the description for keeping the original IDs it says: 'If you have existing XenForo data, this will fail'.
    I'm still in the process of writing my importer, as I'm importing from a system, that's not well-known, so I can't really test it yet...

4. Aivaras

Aivaras Active Member

Do you mean template changes? Those can be easily exported and imported.

5. Kev Collins

Kev Collins Member

I did exactly the same and when trying to import and retain IDs got an error due to making the post in the created node. What I have done on advice from Brogan was a complete reinstall and went straight to import and everything worked as it should whilst retaining post IDs.

6. octabrain

octabrain Member

I installed some addons, did some changes on them, custom css, changed some templates.

7. Aivaras

Aivaras Active Member

I would suggest 1) exporting your current customized style (which will include any changes you've made to the HTML and CSS templates), 2) Do a new installation of the forum software; 3) import your customized style.