Not planned Create link on thread_list_item to RM

Russ

I still use What's New religiously and I personally would love to see a link on the thread listing in what's new, or even the release category directly to the RM Page of the release.

I know Resource Manager itself has Recently Added but like I said, What's New seems like it's utilized a ton from my point of view so this wouldn't hurt: Mock up:)

Not sure if this would be RM suggestion or XF suggestion. Feel free to move.
rmexam.webp

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I still use What's New religiously and I personally would love to see a link on the thread listing in what's new, or even the release category directly to the RM Page of the release.

I know Resource Manager itself has Recently Added but like I said, What's New seems like it's utilized a ton from my point of view so this wouldn't hurt: Mock up:)

Not sure if this would be RM suggestion or XF suggestion. Feel free to move.
View attachment 24532

I think the prefixes tell you it's already a resource.

I think the prefixes tell you it's already a resource.

I'm not asking for something to tell me it's a resource, I'm asking for something discreet linking me directly to the resource manager page of the release.

This the mock up's case, clicking the"Resource" would take me directly to the release page on the Resource Manager, where the actual useful information is.

I'm not asking for something to tell me it's a resource, I'm asking for something discreet linking me directly to the resource manager page of the release.

I see I just clicked the link and it directs to resource discussions I automatically thought it directs to the actual release. I agree then even if it means adding more clutter to compensate for separated discussions.

Edit: Infact, I can't really understand most of how the RM functions. You click on what's new? to see what is new and you see a new resource has been submitted so you click the link and get direct to the resource discussions. Am I the only one finding this odd that your brought to a discussion thread before ever seeing the resource? o_O

Can't say I see the whole logic with that one. I guess that's why you requested this Russ.

A thread can appear in What's New if it has been updated directly from the thread or automatically when a resource blog is added.
You won't know which until you open the thread to view it.

So clicking the direct link to the RM could be a waste of time if someone has replied directly to the thread.

Too many people are getting hung up on using the forum functions to check for new resources.
There's a much better way of doing that: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/

A thread can appear in What's New if it has been updated directly from the thread or automatically when a resource blog is added.
You won't know which until you open the thread to view it.

So clicking the direct link to the RM could be a waste of time if someone has replied directly to the thread.

Too many people are getting hung up on using the forum functions to check for new resources.
There's a much better way of doing that: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/

Why include resources in the what's new? You wouldn't have this issue if you had resources/discussions combined.

Resources aren't included in What's New.

Prefixes for the resources discussions. I know why they show I just don't see the whole logic in it (explained above). I'm basically agreeing with Russ's suggestion even if it means cluttering the what's new a little.

The thought behind this suggestion is simply convenience, that's it. While the discussion is completely separate from the actual resource, why not make it easier to go directly to the resource page straight from What's New or the thread_list_item. And yes... we know http://xenforo.com/community/resources/ is there, as it's been shoved in our faces plenty of times.

Clicking a thread title takes you to the latest unread post, however for convenience clicking the time stamp takes you to the original post. This is the same concept.

Why not have a small icon, or a link directly linking to the resource page for convenience.

Brogan with your logic I should basically ignore all add-on discussion threads in What's New even if it's a brand new thread(Meaning a new release) and go directly to the Resource Manager to find it, I personally still find usefulness in What's New even for spotting new add-ons.

Just a suggestion though :).

Brogan with your logic I should basically ignore all add-on discussion threads in What's New even if it's a brand new thread(Meaning a new release) and go directly to the Resource Manager to find it
You have missed my point.

If you see a resource discussion thread in What's New because it has a new post and click on the link to go directly to the RM, if that new post was one made directly in the thread then you won't see anything new in the RM and will then have to click back to the thread to see the post.

So yes the convenience may exist to get to the resource easily, but more often than not you're going to be clicking forwards and backwards as the majority of posts on resource discussion threads will be from those posting to get support, not blog updates by the developer.

Most active add-ons have hundreds of posts for every new update, so potentially you could click on the direct link hundreds of times before you hit it that one time to see the blog update.

I would therefore suggest that the convenience of having a direct link will result in a frustrating user experience as they click through to the RM only to find nothing new.

We understand the whole concept.

Wouldn't it be frustrating when the following occurrs

1. author makes release
2 member sees the new releases in the what's new?
3 clicks link to view release to be brought to the dicussion thread
4 then has to click link to view the release thread
5 goes back to discussion thread to post any questions etc

it's a lot of leg work just to accomplish something that should effectively be one click post and done or one click download/view resource done. The misleading part comes when a add-on related resource appears in the what's new? is it there because the author updated the resource? is it just another question by a member using the resource? essentially, your guessing, not what I would say inline with how xenforo implements features (discounting notices).

But then i think the culprit here is separated releases from discussions as the problem wouldn't be here if they were tied in together.

You have missed my point.

If you see a resource discussion thread in What's New because it has a new post and click on the link to go directly to the RM, if that new post was one made directly in the thread then you won't see anything new in the RM and will then have to click back to the thread to see the post.

So yes the convenience may exist to get to the resource easily, but more often than not you're going to be clicking forwards and backwards as the majority of posts on resource discussion threads will be from those posting to get support, not blog updates by the developer.

Most active add-ons have hundreds of posts for every new update, so potentially you could click on the direct link hundreds of times before you hit it that one time to see the blog update.

I would therefore suggest that the convenience of having a direct link will result in a frustrating user experience as they click through to the RM only to find nothing new.

I understand your point completely but...
That's like saying why have the timestamp to go to the original post only to find nothing new? Is that a frustrating experience for the user for them to go and find the actual latest unread post in the thread? I don't see how having a tiny icon that's optionally linking to the Resource Page directly for that specific resource would result in a frustrating experience for the user. Just a suggestion though.

I understand your point completely but...
That's like saying why have the timestamp to go to the original post only to find nothing new? Is that a frustrating experience for the user for them to go and find the actual latest unread post in the thread? I don't see how having a tiny icon that's optionally linking to the Resource Page directly for that specific resource would result in a frustrating experience for the user. Just a suggestion though.

It'll be guess work eitherway. Because you'll never know whether the resource is a new release, a discussion update, a product update because it's now hinging on the fact your now guessing what link to click (if this gets included) if it doesn't your going to be guessing and performing extra leg work regardless as your going from discussion, to release and then potentially back to discussion.

Eitherway that frustrated feeling, guessing which link to click and/or going back and forth won't go away with the current setup.

Top Bottom