XF 1.4 CPU Usage

TheSalt

Hello Gang,

I have a new issue. The forum I run pretty much only has two active members myself and another person but we have around 76 registered members, 3175 messages, and 653 discussions. I got a message from the other member yesterday telling me the forum was running slow. I jumped on but it was running fine. He said it cleared up after he sent me the message.

I was on this morning changing the header and everything was running smooth but an hour later it was very slow. Then it wasn't loading, just a white page. I tried logging into my cpanel but it was timing-out. I went back the forum and then it was telling me it couldn't connect to the database.

I went back to the cpanel and it let me log in. I went to the database and it said that MySQL is currently unavailable. I jumped over to the files tab and everything looked to be there and then back to the database and it was now working. The forum is back up but it doesn't finish loading on Firefox. Chrome and Safari work fine though. I clear the cache and cookies but still no luck. I called a friend and they tried it on Firefox and had the same problem.

When I called the host (godaddy) they tested it on Firefox without any problems. They also told me my CPU and Input/Output is maxed out. This was a shock to me considering it's just me and another person 99.999% of the time. I should mention I run a test forum on the same server. I deleted the directory files and database to see if that was part of the problem but the CPU had already flatlined so I'm not sure if it helped. I should also mention I haven't installed any new add-ons for a couple months. So I'm not sure what caused this seeming sudden issue...

I included my add-ons below so you can see what's running and I'm also using a 3rd party theme. Do you feel that this is normal usage for a forum my size?

Thanks for any help!

ReefPeeps.com

1.webp

My current shared hosting plan:
2.webp

Last 24 hours

3.webp

Last 7 days (The Input/Output is not rendering because the cpanel is not fully loading either)
4.webp

Disable all add-ons and test again.

Re enable each one in turn to determine if it is an add-on.

If it isn't an add-on then it is a hosting issue.

I'm going to try this but it's really hard doing anything as it is running so slow. I called again and I was asked to run a test at webpagetest.org and it is showing that my slider images are taking the longest, they are around 270kb. I have been told if I want to run a forum with images I should be on a dedicated server... starting at $279.oo monthly... :eek:

Here are the test results....
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/141204_Z7_HV7/

uhg! I had the slider block (Recent Features) set to 14 images, excessive I know. I reduced it to 4 images but still the same. Next I removed the slider block and everything is working fine. Why is this an issue now, I have had the slider block for over 6 months.

I'm still having issues on the back end. Every time I go to change the header image back to what it was earlier the page times out and when I refresh I get the message below. I have even tried reset.

Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 3.34.47 AM.webp

I'm going to try this but it's really hard doing anything as it is running so slow. I called again and I was asked to run a test at webpagetest.org and it is showing that my slider images are taking the longest, they are around 270kb. I have been told if I want to run a forum with images I should be on a dedicated server... starting at $279.oo monthly... :eek:

Here are the test results....
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/141204_Z7_HV7/
You may want to consider looking for a new host.

This.

GoDaddy has some of the worst reviews in the entire market.

I agree but I'm trying figure out if this is a host issue of a bug. This came out of nowhere. I disabled all the add-ons and reverted back to the default style and I'm still getting the error when trying to change the header image.

screen-shot-2014-12-04-at-3-34-47-am-png.91003

I agree but I'm trying figure out if this is a host issue of a bug. This came out of nowhere. I disabled all the add-ons and reverted back to the default style and I'm still getting the error when trying to change the header image.

screen-shot-2014-12-04-at-3-34-47-am-png.91003

This is a host issue. Most assuredly.

I host forums with millions of posts and thousands of active members and 100+ addons. I recognize all the addons you have. None of them are known to cause these kinds of plans.

So I understand if I take my directory files and database file to a new host and upload them you feel the problem will go away? I'm not disagreeing with you guys but they are SURE it is my image files... I personally think that is BS because I haven't added any slider images for a few weeks now. I know jack about most of this stuff and I get the feeling they know less when I'm talking with them. It's very frustrating.

So I understand if I take my directory files and database file to a new host and upload them you feel the problem will go away? I'm not disagreeing with you guys but they are SURE it is my image files... I personally think that is BS because I haven't added any slider images for a few weeks now. I know jack about most of this stuff and I get the feeling they know less when I'm talking with them. It's very frustrating.

Yes. I sent you a PM with my services if you'd like. We can transfer everything for your free of charge so you don't even have to do it.

I can also recommend other hosts if you want to go with some one else.

Just do a little bit of google searching on Godaddy hosting and learn about the horror stories.

They don't know. I'm on hold while they look into it. I'm sure I will be told it's my doing....

I would just recommend canceling honestly. Not because i want your money since I can easily recommend another other hosts.

But because GoDaddy has a track record for overselling their servers which cause all the problems you are experiencing and terrible support.

Thank you Dark I believe you 100%. I would like to try to finish out the month with these guys if I can get things figured out. I really like the idea of my host understand XF! That all being said this is what they found...

An admin changed the cpanel over to php 5.4 from php native 5.4. He said native can cause some php to run and spike the CPU usage. They also disable ini.php. He said it can also run unnecessary php and also noted that there was a lot of "commented out" code that looks to be unnecessary as well. He said there very well might be things I need in there but I should check with you guys to see what you feel is needed. He felt the last line of code was odd too but I know nothing about it. Can someone please take a look?

Thanks Gang!:)

I tried adding the ini php but it was too long so I attached the file.

Attachments

Thank you Dark I believe you 100%. I would like to try to finish out the month with these guys if I can get things figured out. I really like the idea of my host understand XF! That all being said this is what they found...

No problem take your time :).

An admin changed the cpanel over to php 5.4 from php native 5.4. He said native can cause some php to run and spike the CPU usage. They also disable ini.php. He said it can also run unnecessary php and also noted that there was a lot of "commented out" code that looks to be unnecessary as well. He said there very well might be things I need in there but I should check with you guys to see what you feel is needed. He felt the last line of code was odd too but I know nothing about it. Can someone please take a look?

What kind of response is that :(. That didn't explain anything. Changing php doesn't do that. Its their oversold servers.

The fact that their cPanel was timing out is terrifying. The CPU spike was most likely another customer overusing his resources as usual.

Generally, if nothing has changed on your site and it all of a sudden starts happening - it's something to do with the host. There IS the off chance that there could be a high number of requests to your site - but then your host would generally be yelling at you that you are using to many resources.

GoDaddy and HostGator are fine for small sites.. but if you want GOOD hosting, look elsewhere.

I. starting at $279.oo monthly... :eek:
That is obscene. If it is just a very small forum do this:

1. Get a virtual server at Digital Ocean or Linode ($10 a month no long term commitment)
2. Install virtualmin if you aren't very comfortable using a command line (free)
3. Create an account via virtualmin and transfer your site.
4. Get an AWS account and create a bucket for backups (free)
5. Use the S3 backup service of virtualmin to backup the site nightly (will end up costing around $1 a month tops)

If your site is heavy on the images consider getting the bd attachment store addon and serve your images directly from S3.

Top Bottom