cPanel auto update bug - version 96.0.9, release 10/06/2021

webbouk

I was alerted to occurrences of PHP-FPM being disabled on cPanel servers which have auto-installed the latest cPanel update early this morning. (v96.0.9 released on 10/06/2021).

The resolution provided by the vendor is to manually re-enable PHP-FPM via cPanel's WHM.

cPanel has made an amendment to the update to prevent further installs causing this issue, and has also provided a method to reinstate PHP settings which may have been lost when PHP-FPM was disabled.

From my host:

PHP-FPM is Disabled after EasyApache Update​

Why was PHP-FPM disabled for all my domains?​

As of June 9th 2021, an EasyApache update to ea-apache24-config-1.0-171 has inadvertently disabled PHP-FPM on cPanel/WHM servers. The following components of WHM have been identified to have been affected.

ea-apache24-config-runtime-1.0-171.172.2.cpanel.noarch
ea-apache24-config-1.0-171.172.2.cpanel.noarch

This has also caused custom PHP-FPM configurations to be removed.

When will this be resolved?​

As of yet, no automatic fix has been pushed out by cPanel. However my hosts have successfully tested an interim fix that restores functionality to websites on affected cPanel servers.

How to re-enable PHP-FPM for a single domain​

• Navigate to MultiPHP Manager..
  • In the bottom section, use the tab User Domain Settings, use the search bar to search for your domain.
  • To the far right of your domain, click the toggle icon to enable PHP-FPM.

How to re-enable PHP-FPM for all domains​

• Navigate to MultiPHP Manager.
  • In the bottom section, within PHP-FPM select the button Enable On All Domains

How to re-enable PHP-FPM & restore custom configurations​

To reinstate all domains that were previously using PHP-FPM along with any custom configuration, please see the following steps;

• Connect to your server via SSH as the root user
  • Create a file named fix.pl with your preferred text editor (vi, vim or nano, for example) and populate it with the following contents:

#!/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use Cpanel::JSON; use Data::Dumper; use File::Slurp; use YAML::Syck; my $file = "@ARGV"; my $json = File::Slurp::slurp ($file); my $hr = Cpanel::JSON::Load ($json); my $yaml = YAML::Syck::Dump ($hr); print $yaml . "\n";

• Make sure the file is executable by running:

chmod +x fix.pl

• Run the following loop:

find /var/cpanel/userdata -type f -iname '*fpm.cache' | while read file; do ./fix.pl ${file} > $(echo ${file} | sed 's/cache/yaml/'); done

• Finally, rebuild all of the PHP-FPM configurations:

for i in $(cat /etc/userdomains | awk '{print $2}'); do echo "$i"; /scripts/php_fpm_config --rebuild $i; done

I hope this helps someone

It could be down to the times that the updates were installed as it appears cPanel realised and made an amendment to the update to prevent further installs causing this issue

I only had this issue on on where I manage, and just swapped php-fpm over to lsapi as the php handler. Sites were still up and working, but we’re running as “nobody” rather than the account owner, so Apache couldn’t write any files to the user owned folders.

Top Bottom