Cpanel and Xenforo

Ablac

My Cpanel File Manager is cluttered cause i don't know what i can and cant delete and i've been laying websites on top of each other as i switched :( Can somebody give me a list of files that I Can't delete from Cpanel to allow me to do a Clean install of XenForo

This is also a post to show i Own a License for Legacy Reborn who said he would help me with XenForo :)

Where did you originally install XenForo?

Just delete that directory and all files within it.

It's impossible to give you a list of files that you can't delete as we don't know what files you have, or why.

This is what a clean, default directory listing looks like:

files.webp

My Cpanel File Manager is cluttered cause i don't know what i can and cant delete and i've been laying websites on top of each other as i switched :( Can somebody give me a list of files that I Can't delete from Cpanel to allow me to do a Clean install of XenForo

This is also a post to show i Own a License for Legacy Reborn who said he would help me with XenForo :)

Download the package from the customer area and look at what's in there, that'll be a good starting point for you.

When I switched to XenForo I moved everything that was pre-existing into a new folder to get rid of all the clutter :)

Well before the XenForo i had Nuke Evolution-Xtreme which is absolutely horrible and still exists on my website :( i just put XenForo on top if it which i wouldn't dought caused a lot of problems i didn't see.

I Thought that but wasn't sure, the other issue i had... with my first install of XenForo i didn't have access to the Home Page Not sure if i installed it incorrectly or if i require a Separate Mod to get access to the home page.

You should while everything is working setup a Cpanel backup...individually do sql and home...this way if your not sure about things...(or if you function like myself) you don't erase everything you have without recourse. As soon as they are done download them from your server over ftp and delete them and just store the archives locally if you are not doing that already.

Awesome and GREAT to hear.

make sure as you go and make progress customizing your XF to backup your changes...before I learned how to make an addon....I had about 10 things ready to be built into addons out of the code edits...and I manually deleted my forum to reinstall it from scratch...but I develop on a live server and totally forgot to backup my work...and yeah...I am still trying to remember the last 2 or three addons I could have completed at this point.

If you have the hdd space locally....don't be frugal about backups....fill up your drive...I promise it won't burp. :-)

if you can schedual backups on your server even better...pending your setup you may even be able to have it upload directly to you when a backup is completed.

That's what I ended up doing I just deleted everything in the public_html and WWW files and started fresh with the install of XF :)
Just an FYI: I wouldn't do that if I were you - if I had more than one website on the same server.

Because when you "add-on" to your cpanel instance; you add a new file to your server. So, by the time that you add 3 websites to your server, and you deleted your public_html you just deleted 3 websites.

And the other thing you need to understand is that whatever you have in public_html is reflected into www files.

So, for future reference: If you want to transfer your site from one software to another:

Create New Database
Rename the old filepath that held the old site.
Install the new software using a new file and a new database.
Delete old database, and the renamed folder [or filepath if you perfer].

Top Bottom