Core versus add-ons

Deebs

great idea.... should made it into the core-code as an option.

I saw something like this at another website at which it was named something like:

"save this to read later"

or

"bookmark for reading later".

It is a fantastic mod but why should it be in the core? The whole point of the addon system designed by Kier and Mike is to allow addon-code to run at the same privilege level as the core. Therefore I believe it should be a modular plugin, if you want it, enable it, if you don't then so be it. The core (or as I think of it the kernel) should be as lean as possible without any bloat and then you enable the plugins (modules) you want.

Keep the core lean!

It is a fantastic mod but why should it be in the core? The whole point of the addon system designed by Kier and Mike is to allow addon-code to run at the same privilege level as the core. Therefore I believe it should be a modular plugin, if you want it, enable it, if you don't then so be it. The core (or as I think of it the kernel) should be as lean as possible without any bloat and then you enable the plugins (modules) you want.

Keep the core lean!

That's all good in theory but what happens when a key function on your forum stops working as the unpaid developer doesn't have the time/inclination to update it? That's why people prefer things in the core, so they're guaranteed that it won't suddenly stop working or stop being supported.

That's all good in theory but what happens when a key function on your forum stops working as the unpaid developer doesn't have the time/inclination to update it? That's why people prefer things in the core, so they're guaranteed that it won't suddenly stop working or stop being supported.

In that case let's incorporate every mod that has ever been released to protect ourselves from this very thing. Oh look, we have XenForoBloatWare.

In that case let's incorporate every mod that has ever been released to protect ourselves from this very thing. Oh look, we have XenForoBloatWare.

As Brogan said this isn't the place for that discussion but you've completely misunderstood what I said. There's a difference between a feature-packed core and bloatware. The problem with the kernel approach is that's all you get officially supported. If they had a lean core and then official paid addons/plugins that would be great. We'd be guaranteed support whereas relying completely on the dev community to provide support/updates to addons can be risky as this isn't their full time job for many people.

I'll leave this here to get back on topic :-)

Sorry for offtopic....
Maybe somebody could split this...
As Brogan said this isn't the place for that discussion but you've completely misunderstood what I said. There's a difference between a feature-packed core and bloatware. The problem with the kernel approach is that's all you get officially supported. If they had a lean core and then official paid addons/plugins that would be great. We'd be guaranteed support whereas relying completely on the dev community to provide support/updates to addons can be risky as this isn't their full time job for many people.

I'll leave this here to get back on topic :)
Who garantees this?

The vB Project Tools were OFFICIAL and then they dropped them..
The vB Social Groups are/were in CORE and after they were introduced, nothing changed. Since years there are no implemented suggestions, no real changes,.....

I think if the developer wants to stop their mod because XF already had the same features planned, I would rather the "out of the box" feature than the mod added, as developers may leave in the future, be involved in an accident, lose their job, get other priorities, all sorts of reasons cause disruptions... which is why IMHO with the "Post It" bookmarking case, and the developer agrees they would rather XF incorporate the feature default... then XF should run with their version and the mod stops.

Sorry for offtopic....
Maybe somebody could split this...

Who garantees this?

The vB Project Tools were OFFICIAL and then they dropped them..
The vB Social Groups are/were in CORE and after they were introduced, nothing changed. Since years there are no implemented suggestions, no real changes,.....

You're correct but there are may many more times examples of it being the other way around, that great addons for whatever reason died as the developer no longer maintained them.

I don't want to come across as undermining the superb work that goes on by the dev community (and the addon that started this discussion is great and we'll certainly be installing it) but for example imagine what would happen if Jaxel or yourself gave up developing for XF?

Top Bottom