Lack of interest Copyright Overlay

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Sheldon

Just wanted to see if there was interest in seeing this happen. I posted it here, because I though it should be in the core, and that way any developer can hook directly into it, and do what they need with whatever information they want.

One, this is not to deter any developer from actually removing a copyright, I feel they should completely be noticed for their work. They are appreciated, and info / a link to their site is more than warranted. After testing a few add-ons, I wanted to see just how out of control copyright's could get, so I started installing all I knew (that were free or I had paid for) that had a copy right on the forum_list (main forum page).

What started out as this:
defaultxffooter.webp

Ended up as this:
copyrighttotal.webp

The add-ons used were:
  • ******* Credits
  • Copy Paste Read More
  • XenPorta
  • Thread Thumbnails
  • Steam Auth and Integration
  • Dragonbyte Signatures
  • Dragonbyte Avatars
  • HDJuegos.net Watermark
I did this about a month ago, so their may be more that have them, I just haven't researched or purchased the add-ons. I also want to note, Jon (Waindigo) has allowed people to remove the copyright as well, with the add-on or CSS.

Now...

Seems to me, a single line could be added below the xenForo footer:
copyright.webp
to this
copymodified.webp

It should only "appear" if their is any information in the copyright area. Once clicked, you get the normal overlay, with the information for the add-ons. There are actually some add-ons that have their copyright only in their add-on "area" so to speak right now, and they could actually add it in this.

Just seems their could be a more beneficial way of displaying this information that what is currently going on.

Could be turned into this:
modinstalled.webp

Thoughts?

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I honestly am not complaining about this issue. I actually want the developers to show credit. Everything. Free, paid, help, etc... Just hoped everyone could get onto the same "page" so to speak.

Well I'd suggest just making it and creating an opt-in for future developers. It should be left to the developers, but personally I'd really enjoy something like that. Or at least a 'standard' area for the developers to place the link.

Waindigo was kind enough to provide a method to hide, but not remove the link. So he provided a solution already. I don't mind Jaxel's location so much since it's below his add-on.
I do mind links being on every page if the add-on is only on certain pages.... especially if the location is not in the footer, but in side the page content or body itself.

Personally I would much rather have a 'powered by xenForo logo in the footer of my site, as I'm proud my site is, instead of the horrible and long 'Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2013 XenForo Ltd.' however this is against the terms. As for mods I have paid for the copyright removal on the ones I use.

This is how my footer currently looks:

1.webp

And this is how I would prefer it to look if there was an option within the license to use a standardised linked image instead of the existing copyright text:

2.webp

Personally I would much rather have a 'powered by xenForo logo in the footer of my site, as I'm proud my site is, instead of the horrible and long 'Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2013 XenForo Ltd.' however this is against the terms. As for mods I have paid for the copyright removal on the ones I use.
This is how my footer currently looks:

For $250 you can do that... but I agree, I would MUCH rather be able to use a graphic (similar to what your example denotes) than text. It just looks "cleaner" to me.

With regards to the graphic and I have to say :P if it's under consideration, make it optional. I'm happy displaying the xenforo text and proud to display it since i am a big fan of the product, but i wouldn't be chuffed displaying an image which would most likely take valuable index height and look ugly.

Plus you have to consider that on light backgrounds the "foro" part of the xenforo would be hidden clashing with the background-color. I think image based is more trouble than it's worth and comes with a host of potential issues.

With regards to the graphic and I have to say :p if it's under consideration, make it optional. I'm happy displaying the xenforo text and proud to display it since i am a big fan of the product, but i wouldn't be chuffed displaying an image which would most likely take valuable index height and look ugly.

Plus you have to consider that on light backgrounds the "foro" part of the xenforo would be hidden clashing with the background-color. I think image based is more trouble than it's worth and comes with a host of potential issues.
Agree with optional.. Reason I would like to be able to use an image is I could blend it in with XenFacil's Footer Pie and it would look MUCH better than what it looks like now (and as you can see, I have it in a VERY noticeable color).

1.webp

Just wanted to see if there was interest in seeing this happen. I posted it here, because I though it should be in the core, and that way any developer can hook directly into it, and do what they need with whatever information they want.

One, this is not to deter any developer from actually removing a copyright, I feel they should completely be noticed for their work. They are appreciated, and info / a link to their site is more than warranted. After testing a few add-ons, I wanted to see just how out of control copyright's could get, so I started installing all I knew (that were free or I had paid for) that had a copy right on the forum_list (main forum page).

What started out as this:
View attachment 43867

Ended up as this:
View attachment 43868

The add-ons used were:
  • ******* Credits
  • Copy Paste Read More
  • XenPorta
  • Thread Thumbnails
  • Steam Auth and Integration
  • Dragonbyte Signatures
  • Dragonbyte Avatars
  • HDJuegos.net Watermark
I did this about a month ago, so their may be more that have them, I just haven't researched or purchased the add-ons. I also want to note, Jon (Waindigo) has allowed people to remove the copyright as well, with the add-on or CSS.

Now...

Seems to me, a single line could be added below the xenForo footer:
View attachment 43869
to this
View attachment 43870

It should only "appear" if their is any information in the copyright area. Once clicked, you get the normal overlay, with the information for the add-ons. There are actually some add-ons that have their copyright only in their add-on "area" so to speak right now, and they could actually add it in this.

Just seems their could be a more beneficial way of displaying this information that what is currently going on.

Thoughts?
The bigger issue is that many people plaster the copyright text on every page, and that a lot of the implementations are intrusive.

Steam Auth for example requires that you include the copyright on the site. There is no helping that.

The other ones for shouldn't require a copyright be displayed on every page, nor should it be so intrusive that it distracts from the design.

More than a copyright overlay, just vote with what you use and boycott developers that implement intrusive copyrights.

With regards to the graphic and I have to say :p if it's under consideration, make it optional. I'm happy displaying the xenforo text and proud to display it since i am a big fan of the product, but i wouldn't be chuffed displaying an image which would most likely take valuable index height and look ugly.

I doubt it's under consideration as it would be hard to implement. Unless the options were either:

1) Copyright text
2) Copyright image - choice of 3 colours. White, Black/Gray or xF colours (mixed).

Either way this won't happen as it could cause confusion and adds more hassle for the developers. The easiest thing to do would be to spend the $250 and remove the copyright, but I kinda like it... maybe a $50 fee to change from text to image, although that seems even more unlikely to be implemented.

I would also like to add that I do agree with the post authors' point, a standardised way of adding copyright text for addons is an essential idea. Maybe not a page as that sort of ruins the whole point of having a copyright notice, but maybe having them all under the footerLegal div would be a good idea... just my two pence.

I doubt it's under consideration as it would be hard to implement. Unless the options were either:

1) Copyright text
2) Copyright image - choice of 3 colours. White, Black/Gray or xF colours (mixed).

Either way this won't happen as it could cause confusion and adds more hassle for the developers. The easiest thing to do would be to spend the $250 and remove the copyright, but I kinda like it... maybe a $50 fee to change from text to image, although that seems even more unlikely to be implemented.

Yeah I was thinking if the image route was taken there would be some kind of option for certain/variety images to cater for light and dark styles. Like yourself, I can't see this being implemented and also don't mind the copyright (as stated in my previous posting). You never know though, Mike may very well explore the options available to him.

IMO the xF copywrite needs to be more open to it's usage and wording. vB allows customizing it to your own phrase, just as long as it still links. Hope to see the same soon for xF as I too like Powered by.

I would also like to add that I do agree with the post authors' point, a standardised way of adding copyright text for addons is an essential idea. Maybe not a page as that sort of ruins the whole point of having a copyright notice, but maybe having them all under the footerLegal div would be a good idea... just my two pence.
I just ran into a situation with an add on that piggy backed on the xenForo one (used a search & replace in the php script and then added his stuff on with a <br> between). I place my copyright notices in the center of the page and his add on blew XF's and HIS all the way back to the left side with a forced style="text-align: left; hardcoded into the script. Took me a bit to figure out how to fix that since I'm not a coder by any shades. A standardized routine/hook/placement would have solved that problem (if used).

For once I actually agree with stewart1champ. There should be a standard place for the copyright texts if not a dedicated page, the example he's shown just looks a mess. Personally that's one of the reasons I avoid 3rd party addons and if I do have to use them will opt for branding free.

*reads*
Kier said:
I shall use my perogative as owner of this site to have the last word.

Do you, or do you not want developers to release free add-ons? If you are happy to pay, then maybe you can negotiate terms of how their credit or copyright is displayed, but I doubt it. If you are getting the code for free, then you damned well better display their credit, out of gratitude if nothing else. And if that means a link in your footer, then that's absolutely legitimate. Want to get rid of that link? Negotiate a respectful sum with the developer, or use a different add-on. No alternative add-on available? Then you're going to display that link in your footer, or your site is no better than a pirate.

Do I have objections to a 'powered by' page? No, not at all, it's a great idea. Is this an excuse to talk about how terrible it is that some developers want their credits displayed in your site footer? Absolutely not, and I am horrified by some of the attitudes described in this thread. I'd prefer not to have my code running on your site. It is perfectly valid for a developer to demand a credit in your site footer for software that you run that helps to run your site. Don't like it? Fine. Go elsewhere, but you have no right to complain.
Well that about settles that. Dude went in. You know what I got from this though? That it's perfectly okay to include a footer link to my addons/styles. If there was a way to add a link/info of my addons/styles to a separate page or overlay I would because I like to be credited, I just don't like the mess it creates on the footer. That's why I don't like installing most people's addons/styles that have their credit everywhere.

DRE, I only rehashed this because it had been a year and a half since then, and many many things have changed in the world of xF since that was posted.

Top Bottom