Lack of interest Copyright notice question and suggestion

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

BoardBoss

Hi - Almost every coder knows use of incorrect syntax can lead to all sorts of issues. As a recent purchaser of XenForo, I noticed the copyright notice is a little unusual.

About 25 years ago, I discussed several things with legal counsel about proper formatting of a copyright notice. A couple of things I remember well from those discussions is you should either the circle with the 'C' in it, or the word 'Copyright', but not both. Also, the © directly replaces the word 'Copyright'.

Currently, XenForo uses ©2010-2017. Since no one would use Copyright2010-2017, I was wondering why the XenForo team chose to use the non-standard implementation ©2010-2017. Can anyone shed some light on the subject for me? Every formal style guide, book of grammar, and even the United States Copyright Office indicates the phrase should have a space.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
you should either the circle with the 'C' in it, or the word 'Copyright', but not both. Also, the © directly replaces the word 'Copyright'.
Maybe in your legal jurisdiction, but not all. Some don't recognise the symbol, and the word is required.
Both would be recommended these days to ensure all parties can understand your intention. But in most (all?) jurisdictions, you don't have to display the word or symbol to claim or retain ownership.

Since Xenforo Ltd is an English company, perhaps https://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p03_copyright_notices and https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-digital-images-photographs-and-the-internet are the most interesting and relevant advisories?

Every formal style guide, book of grammar, and even the United States Copyright Office indicates the phrase should have a space.
Possibly just an grammatical oversight? Drop them a ticket?

Top Bottom