Copy Code for bbCode Code

Copy Code for bbCode Code 2.3.1

No permission to download

Robert9

Robert9 submitted a new resource:

Copy Code for bbCode Code - Adds a Copy button to the bbCode Code function with customizable label, also functioning after an ed

Simple addon with a single function: to copy text from a bbCode Code text field. Built and tested with XenForo 2.3. Since it works without jQuery using pure JavaScript, it may also run with 2.2, as long as the template replacements are compatible.

Read more about this resource...

Thank you for informing me. I will check it. Perhaps you could send me a private message here with the email address you used for registration, please.

I'm still waiting for confirmation from your site. Is it a very mysterious site or what? What is the reason for such a long wait?

If you're interested, I can tell you more about it. Xencafe.com has a package with one of the usual hosting providers. Some time ago, they changed their mail system, and since then, no emails have been sent out, which I didn't notice because there's not much activity on the site.

Thanks to your tip, I looked into it. For the integrated mail system to work, I would need to configure DKIM or something similar with the host, but their management interface doesn't allow it. So, I'm waiting for feedback from support.

I immediately tried the SMTP settings, but as usual, it didn't work for me. In version 2.3, there's only one setting option left. You can choose it or not. Maybe I missed it, maybe it's not there - but the solution is to not check the box if you want to access port 587. I must have always done this wrong and therefore had to use the integrated mail system.

After setting it up, I was able to send myself a test email. I should have answered various requests with "Send Password." Otherwise, you should now be able to request your confirmation email.

In parallel, I looked at almost all mail add-ons yesterday; but maybe I missed what I'm looking for. I would like a list showing something like:

Date/Time | Username | Email Address | Action | Successful?=> Comment

Something like that, so you could look in and see what happened, where, and when, or if something didn't happen. For now, I'm using error messages, and there was something about monitoring bouncing?

Otherwise, I'm currently restructuring with 2.3, and not everything is working as it should. For example, you will need to enter a license to upgrade from a user to a webmaster.

There will also be new upgrades displayed depending on the user group. Currently, access costs between 5000 and 30,000 euros; this is to prevent anyone from ordering before I'm done. No need to ask if I sell Gold and Platinum.

The add-on you're probably looking for only took me a day to develop and costs you nothing. I'm sorry you have to wait for it. Alternatively, you can find other add-ons of this type in the directory, most of them are free, and at least one is also available for 2.3.

I still need to test the add-on for 2.2 or create another one if it requires a different regex. The JavaScript should run regardless. Unfortunately, no one has answered me yet on whether and how to use different regex for XF 2.2 and 2.3 in a template modification.

Another issue now is that you apparently need an add-on management system that can offer multiple versions. I've seen this with XON and others, but I actually want less overhead and would also like to eliminate the RM if I can manage my add-ons differently. We'll see.

You didn't want to know all this detail, but you asked, and such a summary helps me think about whether I've done everything or forgotten something and to make a list of pending tasks.

Once upon a time, there was a plucky little programmer who just wanted to post some text and code in his forum. But soon, he discovered that copying code from bbCode blocks was about as easy as herding cats. “What? No way! Yes, really!” he thought. This simply wouldn’t do.

But he wasn’t alone in his frustration. He quickly found a few addons—three or four, to be exact—that promised to solve this problem. However, there was a catch. All these addons relied on jQuery, and as fate would have it, jQuery had long packed its bags and left XF 2.3.

“Aha!” thought our brave little coder. With the help of his trusty thinking cap, straight from the lab of Gyro Gearloose, he would conquer this challenge. Hours ticked by, and through sheer determination (and maybe a bit of caffeine), he finally got it working. His addon, CopyCode, was now live in the RM on xenforo.com.

As he was happily posting his texts and code snippets, another annoyance reared its ugly head—scrolling through bbCode blocks was driving him nuts! “Buttons,” he thought, “I need buttons that can expand and collapse these blasted code blocks.”

But then, wham! Another kick in the shins. After an AJAX reload, nothing worked! “What? How? Why?” he lamented.

It turned out that this AJAX thingy was a bit of a party crasher, breaking all the button bindings and scripts. But our intrepid programmer wasn’t ready to throw in the towel. He stumbled upon a clever concept called Delegation. The idea was simple yet brilliant—pass on the responsibility and know-how to someone else. So, even when AJAX made a mess of things, the delegated hero would swoop in and save the day, making sure everything kept working like a charm.

And so, with only a minimal investment of 15 hours, our little programmer created an addon that could not only copy code from bbCode blocks but also expand and collapse the code windows.

Isn’t that amazing?

Sure, he could’ve just waited a few days for the real programmers to finish their work, but the thought of going to his grave without knowing how AJAX could break the world—and how a delegated hero could fix it—was simply unbearable. In the end, he emerged wiser and more triumphant. Hooray!

Back
Top Bottom