Cookie notice

AndyB

Is this by design or a bug? When I come to this site I see this new large cookie notice, also after I log in the cookie notice persists.

pic001.jpg

I quite like it. Addresses some (maybe all) of the concerns we have seen around making the cookie notices more compliant with various privacy regimens and also hands more control to the users. The clear, obvious "Cookies" button is a nice part of that, too.

That said, I do plan to try it in my dev first and post an announcement in my site's Tips & Techniques forum with instructions on how to use it before I upgrade live so people aren't surprised by it.

I wonder how third-party cookies will be implemented and how blocking them will work. We'll see soon.

Also got the push notifications alert even though had clicked never see again. But only on android.

Last edited:
I wonder how third-party cookies will be implemented and how blocking them will work. We'll see soon.
Ya, that was my first thought as well. I suppose one could completely revamp the JavaScript loading system or something where you can flag scripts at setting third-party cookies, then let some code logic sort out if you want to load it based on the user's settings. But that seems like a pretty major (breaking) change for a patch version like 2.2.12 (not even a minor version like 2.3). 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe it's just a matter of wrapping each <xf:js /> in some logic based on visitor settings/cookie, but that wouldn't scale particularly well.

...it does seem to be working in it's current form though. If you reject third-party cookies, Google Analytics doesn't load (although technically it uses first party cookies now, not third-party).

Why saving cookies selection refreshes the page? 🤔
Because certain parts of a page load based on the cookie settings (for example Google Analytics). Say you were going from allowing it to not allowing it, you need to refresh the page for that to take action because it was already loaded (need a new page load to not load it). Once it's loaded it might still send things happening on the page itself after you've made a new selection.

That's just one example...

In my understanding, before selecting “allow” for Google Analytics, it don’t should be injected in page. So it looks… very crutchly.

In my understanding, before selecting “allow” for Google Analytics, it don’t should be injected in page. So it looks… very crutchly.
You are able to change it after the fact on any page view. It's not just the initial page view that dialogs is for/works on. Look at the bottom left of all pages here now... there's a "Cookies" link that brings up the dialog. You would have all sorts of issues if you blocked all cookies by default and made the selection only available on the first page view.

How would you change your mind on the permissions you previously set? It would also be super annoying if we all came here this morning and we were logged out (because we didn't yet give permission for necessary cookies).

Perhaps we can adjust the language in the first blurb so even savvy members, as seen here, are not thrown by this. Just a little finessing.

Top Bottom